PDA

View Full Version : Feeders vs hand throwing

KillingTine
August 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Just wondering if most people us feeders or hand throw corn. I realize feeders will make the corn last a little longer, but I don't seems to get many buck pictures at feeder sites. Now that could be because the my land doesn't have many bucks or because the buck shy away from the feeders. Most of the pictures I see in the forum don't have feeders in them, so I was just wondering if most people hand throw the feed or use feeders.

BUCKIN KRAZY
August 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hand throw is way better the bucks are scared of feeders bc they are not natural to the environment but they will I to them but it takes time. I hand throw mine bc it give the deer a chance to walk around an browse instead of stand in one spot to feed

Antelope08
August 20th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I spread mine by hand too, rubber gloves, I have never had any luck with deer at feeders, started spreading it out about 4 yrs. ago and have plenty of pictures of does and bucks foraging for corn in the areas....

PT1426
August 20th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Ive always just spread mine on the ground and there has always been both bucks and does at the feed.

CTCortez
August 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
i think spreading it works better but i dont have the luxury of doing that cause i hunt in water so its trough feeders for me

Thunderhead
August 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I put mine on the ground as well. Never even tried a feeder. I've killed some good bucks on corn. Would they have been there had I used a feeder? Don't know.

treboryerf
August 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I like to spread mine with a seader on my 4 wheeler,the only problem with that is being able to do it all the time and keep the corn out,a feeder is more convenient.

DEATH DEALER
August 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I use feeders in preseason and hand feed during the season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

cjleger337
August 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have a few spots where I have a timer feeder and other spots where its just a PVC pipe and a board underneath. I actually prefer the PVC pipe feeders. Not trying to hijack your thread but does anyone know if theres any substance to the myth that hand feeding and gravity feeding produce nocturnal deer?

rubicon4x4
August 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hand feed only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Rubicon 4x4

empty hull
August 20th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I used to hand feed and then started using the stick feeders. Now I use feeders because of convience. Tim

muzzyman
August 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM
i use a feeder but always set my camera up over a pile of rice bran because i didnt have anything close to the feeder to mount my camera on.. last year i shot a 7 pt beside my feeder. 2.5 yr old. and there was 2 other 2.5 year olds on the plot with him. I also got this pic of a buck at my rice bran pile. you can see my feeder. I just thinks its what they are use to.. and i always have eyes around the feeder when the flash on the camera goes off at night.

Cajun Executioner
August 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Never caught this deer on camera. Come to think of it I didn't catch any bucks on camera at this sight. I had my feeder right where this picture was taken up until the day before muzzle loader season. When moving the feeder, I dropped a bunch of corn at this spot on accident. The night before muzzle loader I moved my feeder about 100 yards north of my stand but I didn't move my camera. Only hours after I moved the feeder did I catch this buck on camera. It became clear to me after this that some bucks will not go under a feeder. I didn't use my feeder at all last year and this year I haven't decided if I will use it on my road stand yet.

Professor T
August 20th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I do both. But throwing the feed on the ground is way better to attract older bucks than the feeders. Mature Bucks that have been raised with feeders at current locations are likely to visit them at night but unlikely to visit them during the day.

Several years ago I set up a feeder to push the bucks toward my stand. The year before I noticed the bucks avoiding the feeders like the plague. So I set up a feeder on the east side of the plot and hunted the west side. The first 8 point that came to the plot while I was on the stand walked the chalk line right to my stand with his eyes on the feeder the entire time.

Last year was different though. There were several mature bucks at one of my feeders. But day time visits were early mornings and very late evenings..

90% of the bucks visiting feeders during the day in most places will be 2.5 yo or less. Also for ground feeding, the less you put out on the ground the earlier the bucks will come out to feed. You still have to catch the right weather conditions though.

woodie25
August 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I do both. But throwing the feed on the ground is way better to attract older bucks than the feeders. Mature Bucks that have been raised with feeders at current locations are likely to visit them at night but unlikely to visit them during the day.

Several years ago I set up a feeder to push the bucks toward my stand. The year before I noticed the bucks avoiding the feeders like the plague. So I set up a feeder on the east side of the plot and hunted the west side. The first 8 point that came to the plot while I was on the stand walked the chalk line right to my stand with his eyes on the feeder the entire time.

Last year was different though. There were several mature bucks at one of my feeders. But day time visits were early mornings and very late evenings..

90% of the bucks visiting feeders during the day in most places will be 2.5 yo or less. Also for ground feeding, the less you put out on the ground the earlier the bucks will come out to feed. You still have to catch the right weather conditions though.

That makes allot of sense thanks for the advice

high water kennels
August 20th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I got tipped to the spin feeders a few yrs ago and it really opened my eyes.. I had always sprinkled corn on the ground down shootin lanes but I had never had proof that the spin feeders would actually hinder mature bucks from eatin the corn until I had been feeding an area and gettin a main frame 8pt with split brow tines on camera for several weeks .. Then I decided to put up the spin feeder, bye bye mr. 8pt .. I then took the spin feeder down within the next couple of weeks and would you believe he showed rite back on camera over the corn on the ground..

Big Buck Blaster
August 21st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Ive always poured my corn right on the ground its seems more natural that way where I hunt deer are almost scared to come in to a feeder.

Machinist
August 22nd, 2012, 06:22 AM
When I do feed, I don't use feeders. I'll carry in heavy duty 1.5 gallon zip locks or a 3.5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid. Using a smaller amount of feed will keep them checking the area more vs having a surplus amount always available. I have got plenty pictures of bucks like this but at the same time I've seen some high tail it I believe that's mostly due to the camera even using infrared. When the shutter clicks, mature deer know something's up.

creamcheese27
August 28th, 2012, 03:55 PM
i normally have quite a few pics of deer everytime i check the trail cam, i just added about 6 weeks ago a auto feeder, tripod, and i have had zero deer pics

anyone know how long it takes for deer to get used to the feeder

- have heard 3 years, one full season......i dunna what i should do

Cajun Executioner
August 28th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'd get rid of the feeder. You can't do anything about the tripod though. You can try to brush it in as much as possible with some burlap and limbs. Tie wrap some good size branches hanging from the legs.

Qrole
August 28th, 2012, 04:58 PM
We do both, but I'm convinced that throwing it on the ground is better when targeting older mature bucks. We can shoot does all day under feeders, but we have killed very few mature bucks under feeders in 20+ years.

june-bug
August 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Tried the feeders and pretty much only got pictures of hogs and turkeys . Now I only hand feed and actually do very little of even that . Have alot more luck hunting travel routes and natural browse than feeding . Last trip up to the lease we checked trail cams and a buddy of mine who was runnin a feeder had 1200 pictures with only 2 pictures of deer . I had cameras set up on mineral sites and had about 350 pictures vast majority deer with a few decent bucks mixed in . This is about 3/4 mile from the feeder . Depends alot on where you hunt but if you feedin heavy and have lots of hogs . Hogs will absolutely displace deer . I have seen it time and time again . Just a little something else to think about when feeding .

Professor T
August 28th, 2012, 06:04 PM
i normally have quite a few pics of deer everytime i check the trail cam, i just added about 6 weeks ago a auto feeder, tripod, and i have had zero deer pics

anyone know how long it takes for deer to get used to the feeder

- have heard 3 years, one full season......i dunna what i should do

Bucks need to grow up with the feeder there. Does will keep using the feeder. One of my feeders took 6 weeks before the first deer came by to get a picture taken. I strongly believe if you are going to use the feeder use it to keep the deer in the area. Do not hunt it. Do not worry about getting pictures at the feeder. It will show the smaller bucks and does but the bigger bucks will show up in the background sometimes. They may feel free to use it at night or if lucky right before dark. Put the feeder 50 yards from where you bow hunt or further if you gun hunt. Feed on the ground where you want to kill the deer.

Most important, "DON'T OVER FEED!" If deer can get feed at a feeder any time they want they will only come at night. Keep it a first come first serve and the late comers get only the smell of corn. They will eventually come during daylight.

BOBSEGER
August 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Good thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backstrapbountyhunter
August 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM
a place i hunt in arkansas uses feeders, but they are dump feeders not spin feeders. he also has them hung overhead and not on a tripod. he has got some dandy pics of deer in daylight, but the biggest were all at night.

Courville
August 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Bucks need to grow up with the feeder there. Does will keep using the feeder. One of my feeders took 6 weeks before the first deer came by to get a picture taken. I strongly believe if you are going to use the feeder use it to keep the deer in the area. Do not hunt it. Do not worry about getting pictures at the feeder. It will show the smaller bucks and does but the bigger bucks will show up in the background sometimes. They may feel free to use it at night or if lucky right before dark. Put the feeder 50 yards from where you bow hunt or further if you gun hunt. Feed on the ground where you want to kill the deer.

Most important, "DON'T OVER FEED!" If deer can get feed at a feeder any time they want they will only come at night. Keep it a first come first serve and the late comers get only the smell of corn. They will eventually come during daylight.

I agree totally!!!

Coon Urine
August 28th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Awesome info

PT1426
August 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Most important, "DON'T OVER FEED!" If deer can get feed at a feeder any time they want they will only come at night. Keep it a first come first serve and the late comers get only the smell of corn. They will eventually come during daylight.[/QUOTE]

how much would you normally put out each time you replenish the feed pile?

5forks
August 28th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I hand feed becouse the bear will tear up a feeder. I use beans and bran mostly for the same reason.

August 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hand feed or pipe feeder. We used an automatic feeder one year and they wouldnt touch it. We left the feeder where it was and poured feed out by hand 50' away and they cleaned it up and still wouldnt touch it from the feeder

KOSBO
August 28th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I have a couple of old wooden gravity feeders I built out of playwood and put in place with a 4X4 in addition to some automatic feeders as well. Have has the camera on both and get way more pictures of deer at the gravity feeders . They also seem to hang out longer and nibble at the gravity feeders. I also take a sack od corn and walk down my lanes sprinkling just a little trail in the center real thin. I find the deer like to browse around and nibble . This is in Deridder LA , not sure thier reaction in places where the deer is of great abundance.

Professor T
August 29th, 2012, 04:19 AM

how much would you normally put out each time you replenish the feed pile?[/QUOTE]

I have a very high population of deer. I set my feeders at 3 seconds twice a day. Then when I start hunting the area I cut it back to 1 or 2 seconds at the time of day I am hunting the area.

As far as bait piles, during the season I put out about as much as the deer can clean up in twenty minutes. This equals about 1/2 gallon of corn and 1/2 gallon of rice bran. Three or four deer can clean this up very fast and the other deer will keep coming after because of the smell.

I know it is different at every location. It also changes drastically when the good acorns start falling. By good, I mean the preferred trees. Deer will walk right over a corn pile to get to those acorns.

The best way I can describe it is that less is better than to much. Corn is candy, the less they have the more they want it.

There is another method of baiting that works on occaisions. This should not be done very often though so pick your time. I call it the "Saturation Method". This is done on my land during rifle season and usually only once or twice a year. Put a sack or two of corn on a food plot. Spread it out as far as you can to make the deer work for it. I mean really spread it out. Make a sack cover between 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre. Don't hunt that day but hunt the next putting out more corn but not as much. Sit back and watch and don't shoot the first one that comes out.

09Reezen
August 29th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Can y'all post some pics of yalls gravity feeders? I'd like to build a couple.

creamcheese27
August 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM
for the advice