Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Deon Herpin

Rate this Entry

Scouting Trip #1

Posted September 21st, 2009 at 09:49 AM by Deon Herpin

Started the day off by having coffee with good friends JCFarms and Addicted2hunting. **** they have some nice deer on camera. After a little of BS we hit the woods.
Location #1 (BB trail): Scouted an area that Grant and I hunted once last year. It was promising but not as much sign as I would have liked. Nice tight funnel coming off a hill into a bottom. Noticed that the deer are flanking the edge and not going all the way to the creek. Setup camera and mark a stand. I"ll check back in a few weeks.
Location #2 (GH): One of my favorite spots. Not much acorns but did notice that the crabapple trees are full and started to fall. Dessert!! (See pics.) Deer moving up from heavy cover along finger into openings under crabapple trees. Lots of fresh deer droppings in area. Best sign I found so far. Set camera. Possible opening morning location. Good spot for Grant's youth weekend. Note: make sure of wind direction first.
Location #3 (OakA): Another promising spot but a **** of a walk. Thick area off of big *** hill where two ridges, a finger and a creek meet. Good pinch point. Nice buck sign every year but just can't seem to connect. Maybe need to change my approach. Set camera #1 on old rubline along creek. Camera #2 on little crossing on finger leading to creek. Will check back after opening morning.
Spotted two small deer cross road @ 10:30. Another 300 yards up a big nasty *** boar crossed right in front of truck. @ 250 lbs.
Headed home about noon with our azzes dragging. Looking forward to opening weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crabapple.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00100.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	127  
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3291 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    *** dragging after scouting is alot better than *** dragging after working anyday!! Hope you gets some good pics. Sounds like you will.