Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Journal Entry 10 (11/22/09)

Posted November 22nd, 2009 at 11:03 AM by Black Spurs
Updated November 22nd, 2009 at 11:12 AM by Black Spurs (Incorrect calorie information in original post.)

There is a saying that "Slow and steady wins the race." I guess if I define winning as finishing I will be okay. Of course, I am not trying to win anything. I am just running for the joy of it. I decided to go out and do a long one this morning. My goal was 13.1, but I, as usual, just went off on my own little route that was different from the one I had set for the 13.1. When I finished, it ended up being 12.7. My time was 2 hours, 7 minutes. The good news it that it was 2 hours, 8 minutes last week and only 12.6 miles. It sure seems like I ran an awful long way to get that extra tenth of a mile. Anyway, that put me at 10 minutes, 1 second per mile, 13 seconds per mile quicker than last week. If I can do the half in that time, I will be pretty happy. Additionally, I wasn't nearly as tired at the end of the run; my quasi-trainer/advice giver (he smokes Marlboro reds now but used to run track for LSU) to whom I speak with only about once every other month said I would probably be a little quicker on the flat course with the crowd. He has run 5 minute miles over 15 miles back in the day. So, I guess we'll see--maybe I should take up smoking cigarettes, maybe not.

The difference between this week and last week was that I got plenty of rest on Saturday. I think that is the key to running well on the long ones, maybe the short ones too.

One of the best things about running those long runs is the first bite of food you eat after the run. My wife had made a large breakfast with oatmeal, a cheese and mushroom omlette, bacon, and wheat toast, probably close to 1000 calories is what I ate. The first piece of bacon just absolutely tasted unreal. I ate quite a bit, but I burned 1777 calories on the run.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1828 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Peopel don't realize how good oatmeal is for you. I eat four slices of turkey bacon, three whole eggs, and a serving of plain oats everyday......and a half a pot of black community coffee.
  2. Old Comment

Oatmeal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by No. 2 View Comment
    Peopel don't realize how good oatmeal is for you. I eat four slices of turkey bacon, three whole eggs, and a serving of plain oats everyday......and a half a pot of black community coffee.
    I agree. I haven't had my cholesterol checked, but I know it reduces cholesterol levels.
    Posted November 23rd, 2009 at 06:57 AM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline