Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

100K Aftermath...

Posted December 19th, 2011 at 09:04 AM by Black Spurs

The Cajun Coyote 100K, to my mind, seems like 10 years ago, but my body has reminded me that it was a mere 2 weeks ago. Two weeks seems like a lifetime ago... in my mind.

Since the race, I took seven consecutive days off from running before the build up for Rocky Raccoon's 100 miles, an additional 38 miles. Over the course of the last couple of weeks, I have kicked myself several times for not going ahead and doing the 100 miler option at Cajun Coyote. I felt great after 62 miles, except for some blistering issues. The next day, I had minimal soreness, and felt confident that not only would I be running in a week. But I felt like I would be running harder and faster than ever before.

All soreness and foot swelling was gone by Wednesday, four days after the race. But seeing those feet made me re-think things. Maybe the recovery would take two weeks, or three. Well, it has been two weeks, and my mileage is not where I was thinking it would be. It is still good, but not at the level I would like. I only got about 35 miles last week. I skipped a 20 miler on Saturday, and ran a 10 miler on Sunday after the Saints game against Minnesota. Actually, I stepped out during the 4th quarter.

The first 4 miles were brutal. I was thinking, "This is just not going to work out for me. I don't know if I'll be ready for the 100 miler the first weekend of February." But after 4 miles the kinks came out and things smoothed out for the next 6 miles. Hopefully, by the end of the week, I'll be back to where I need to be. The reality is that I should be able to make the 100 mile distance with minimal running between now and the race day, just a few long runs of 5, 6, and 7 hours left anyway. Those long ones are the ones that mean the most. Actually, I should probably just rest during the week and hit three 7 hour long runs on the weekends. I wonder how that would work out? Hmmm. I won't deviate from my plan this late in the game. But to answer the question myself: It would probably workout just fine at this point. I have the cummulative effect of several months of consistently running long runs of 7 hours or more. The extra rest would probably not hurt. If I decided to run only one run per week, I would probably extend 7 hours out to 10 hours. Then from January 14th to race day, I could increase my frequency of running, but run shorter distances at quicker paces. I think I will stick to my plan, though.

Luckily, the timing of things has been perfect. This week can still be pretty bad as far as mileage goes, and I'll still be okay because the really big mileage doesn't start again until next week.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1881 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments