Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Tapering for Rocky Raccoon 100 Miler

Posted January 15th, 2012 at 08:56 PM by Black Spurs

Well, it is again time to take a break to be in good condition for a long race. Rocky Raccoon is coming upon us quickly, 20 days. The last few weeks I have logged some very productive long runs. My last one was yesterday, four hours out on the trails after last week's 5+ hour run. Yesterday, I took it pretty easy, and didn't get as far as I could have if I was pushing it. I didn't really keep up with distance, but it must have been around 22 miles or so. No problems have occurred on any runs since December's 62 miler, although it took a little longer to recover from that run than I anticipated.

The training schedule has been 24 weeks for this race, but really, I have been working specifically toward this goal for about three years. It takes awhile to build up the endurance and deep training base to get through something like this. Along the way, I have learned a great deal about myself, mainly dealing with my ability to commit to something and see it through. Although enjoyable, this has not been an easy task. All the cards are about to be on the table. Future long races won't require the amount of training I have put into this first one because of the foundation I have built up, or so I am told. But I will take a much needed break when turkey season comes around this year. Well, there isn't much to tell at this point. I am satisfied with what I have done, and the big day approaches quickly.

Hopefully, I'll go into this 100 miler well rested and healthy. However, 100 miles is 38 miles more than I have ever run. I don't know what will happen from mile 63 on. I'll give ya'll a report when the race is over. Hope you have enjoyed reading about my journey to get through this first 100 miler as much as I have enjoyed the task itself. I plan to have a good report on the race around February 6th, and then turkey season will be right around the corner. Thanks for reading.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2820 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Good luck at RR! Hope ya do well,you definitely trained hard enough it shouldn't be too difficult of a task for you at all!
  2. Old Comment

RR

Thanks. I am having a bit of trouble with some of those tender spots where the blood blisters showed up at Cajun Coyote, but other than that, I don't really have any issues. Vaseline should take care of that. Hopefully, the weather will be no colder than about 40 degrees and no warmer than 55 or 60. Last year the low was 19, which can give you a case of the chills that are hard to overcome. I'll have some stuff for the cold conditions if they arise, but I'd like to not have to deal with that. Cajun weather was a little warmer than I would have liked, so I didn't get to try out some of my new gear.
    Posted January 17th, 2012 at 07:23 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline