Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Turkey Season 2012 in Review

Posted April 23rd, 2012 at 02:12 PM by Black Spurs

I have always wanted to fill a tag the first week and the last day. I have limited out the first four days of the season when the limit was 3, and I have killed them the first day and the last week. But the pursuit of filling that last tag on the last day of the season is something that has eluded me for my whole turkey hunting life. Of course, when it comes down to the last day, you are often looking back on a season that has been filled with near misses and plenty of woulda, coulda, or shoulda. This season was exactly that. Despite some bad luck when it came to pulling the trigger, I had mostly positive things happen all season.

For example, I never went on a hunt in which I did not see a turkey. I saw turkeys every time I went into the woods to hunt for myself. I did take one friend on his place, and we didnít see anything. But I donít count that against my hunts because it wasnít my hunt. I have been fortunate enough to accomplish this turkey sighting streak for three years running. Most people I know who hunt as much as I do cannot say that. I hunted 19 days of the 30 day season. The 11 days I missed were agonizing. Some days I hunted morning and evening, but most days I hunted just the mornings. I donít know how many different turkeys I heard gobble, probably 12 or 14 different birds on different places, at different times.

The second week of the season was when I did most of my hunting because I was off that week, and we had bad weather almost the whole time. I was able to get close a couple of times, but it just didnít work out. Turkeys acting like normal turkeys already stacks the deck in favor of the turkeys, but when you add up all the other issues a hunter faced this year, it was even worse. The green up was early; the weather was hot; all sorts of things worked against the turkey hunter this year. And when the turkeys shut down this year, they really shut down hard for about 2 weeks. Of course, I donít mind that too much because those with less commitment to the sport generally give up once the gobbling stops.

In one way, this was a dream season. It tested my ability to persevere all the way to the very end, and that perseverance paid off with my final tag filled on the last day of the season. However, a friend of mine who has filled his last tag a couple of times on the last day told me, ďIt is a great feeling to kill your last turkey on the last day of the season, but up until that happens, it ainít worth a crap.Ē I have to agree with that statement, but I just had this feeling deep down inside that I was going to fill that tag before the sun went down on April 22, 2012, even as I was crossing that log headed back to the truck. I am thankful I got him.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2353 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments