Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Skewerer

Rate this Entry

8/5/2012: First Trail Cam Check

Posted August 23rd, 2012 at 10:02 PM by Skewerer

After letting my cameras simmer for a couple of weeks, it was time for the first check of the year. I headed to the farm alone this trip, and I had high hopes for some shooter buck pictures.

The first camera I checked was by the Watermelon Stand, and all that it revealed was a steady parade of does and fawns. I pulled the camera, and relocated it to a nearby spot in hopes of catching more bucks.

The next stop was Angus Ditch. As I approached the tree line from the field side, I noticed a few deer just on the edge of the woods working their way towards the milo. I was able to sneak within 30 yards of one of the does before she bolted.

I got back in the Bad Boy and continued down the ditch until I reached my second camera. That's when I really hit pay dirt. I had several nice 3.5 year olds on camera that I easily recognized from last year. One buck was a typical 8 point with a split browtine. I had passed him up last year at 10 yards when he was a smaller 8 point--good decision! I also had a potential shooter that had super long browtines. It was hard to get a good look at his body, but I believe he's 4.5. Needless to say, I was pumped up!

Once all of my cameras had been checked, I went back out to the tree line and rode down the edge of the milo field watching deer run everywhere. I stopped at one point and observed a young bachelor group of bucks feeding on the milo. I tried sneaking towards them and got within 20-30 yards of a long-nosed doe that quickly pegged me and headed for the safety of the nearby CRP thickets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Trail Cam Check 007.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	423   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Trail Cam Check 013.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	424   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Trail Cam Check 032.jpg
Views:	951