Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

September is Gone

Posted October 9th, 2012 at 09:03 PM by Black Spurs

September was a great month of training for this next 100 miler. I have noticed that throughout this training phase that really started with base building in April that I have been able to run for hours at a time without stopping to walk or taking any type of breaks along the way except for slowing to a walk to eat or drink on runs of over two hours. I wasn't really able to do that last year and finished a 100K and 100 miler without major issues regarding fitness.

The temps didn't really cool down very much that I could tell, but my trail running went better than expected. 3 to 4 hour runs were regularly done twice per week with very little recovery time needed, and they were fast efforts on the trails. I was disappointed about missing a 50 mile training run in Mississippi, but my mileage did reach over 200 miles for the month, which was my plan. However, the 50 miler would have been nice.

Once I realized that wasn't going to happen, I decided to adjust my schedule to get in one 8 to 9 hour run the first week of October. I did that run on the 5th of October, and here is the rundown:

I started off at 7:30 with a damp coolness that made running feel easy for the first 4 hours, effortless actually. I had decided to use regular running shorts with a heavy dose of Body Glide to keep the chaffing at bay. I usually wear a pair of shorts with built in compression material, similar to biking shorts. But I wanted to see how regular shorts would do for this long run. I had been running 3 and 4 hour runs regularly in regular shorts. As the day heated up, I began to struggle through parts of the run after about 4.5 hours. By the time I got to 5.5 hours, I was incorporating more frequent walk breaks as the sun was beating down on me. Additionally, the sun was sucking any moisture that had allowed the sand to be a comfortable running surface. It was beginning to take on the consistency of baby powder.

The first four hours covered about 20 miles; the next four hours and 15 minutes covered 16. I ate well along the way, and I maintained a pretty decent fluid level. But the sun and 90 degree heat was starting to get to me. I felt nauseated for about 1.5 hours before everything came up. I just completely lost my stomach out there, but once that happened, I started to get stronger and get my running legs back. I have run many, many miles, and I have never thrown up like that.

I guess some folks would be a little bit discouraged by the vomit fest toward the end of the last long run of a training cycle, but I am actually encouraged by it for a couple of reasons:
1. It gave me a chance to start over on my hydration and nutrition.
2. It reminded me that if you just keep plugging away the bad times will pass, and good things are just around the corner.

So, now the taper begins. Three weeks of decreasing mileage and increasing rest as we wait for the race on November 3rd. I am as ready as I will be, and I feel confident that it will be a great day. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for following along on this journey. I may post a race plan in a few minutes... Thanks again.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2936 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Sounds like a battle and you conquered! Question: I noticed you saying you used body glide. Do you put that on your chest too to keep your shirt from rubbing? I used body glide for my marathon this past June, but despite using it I had blood down the front of my jersey by the end. Just curious how you deal with that or if you don't have that issue.
  2. Old Comment
    Band aids. You can't beat them. Even with body glide, I have had issues with that. It will ruin your day.
    Posted October 22nd, 2012 at 01:37 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline