Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Misc. Ramblings and a Book Review

Posted December 23rd, 2013 at 09:16 AM by Black Spurs

It has been awhile since I have done anything on here, so I figured I would kill a couple of birds with one stone this morning while I have a few minutes:
1. Running:
I had the pleasure of returning to Ville Platte, La. a couple of weeks ago to pace a friend to his first 100 mile trail race win at Cajun Coyote. I had to be over there to crew for my brother who was running the 100K (62.2 miles) race as a training run for the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile endurance run in early February. My brother and I are not the folks who stand any real chance of winning a race like this unless the ground opens up and swallows the front runners, but we try to keep moving forward relentlessly and enjoy the day...and night...and next morning... My brother finished well within the parameters that we set forth as being good for the training run, under 16 hours. Anyway, I had decided that a good friend of mine from Utah had a good chance of doing well in the 100 mile race held simultaneously with the 100K and the 20 mile races, he did very well. He won the race in 19 hours and 01 minute. I paced him from miles 80 to 100; we had a great time running through the woods despite the cold, rainy weather. I actually enjoy running in the cold and rainy weather. I am a pretty consistent runner no matter what the conditions, but most people have major issues in bad weather. So, I tend to do a little better in bad conditions.

2. Book Review: Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game by Ken Morgan
This book was written way back in 1987, but I just got my hands on this hard to find gem. If you were to look for a recipe for success at turkey hunting, this book is the only book you would ever need to read. The knowledge conveyed is second to none. The insight into turkey (and hunter) behavior is completely accurate. I really can't say enough about how good this book is. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find. The copy I have is borrowed from a friend. If I was teaching a class on turkey hunting (not that I would really be qualified to do such a thing), I would have this book as required reading. Ken Morgan laid out just about every possible scenario that a person will deal with during the spring of the year, but more importantly, he shares with the reader a foundation of knowledge that is solid enough to allow one to think about how to handle certain situations without giving some step by step procedure of: if the turkey does this, then you should do that; or if the turkey doesn't do that, then you should do this, etc. It is a solid book that every turkey hunter should read at some point in his or her life.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4805 Comments 4 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Spurs: right on with the review of Morgan's book. I got a signed copy (signed back in 2002 or before Ken died, whichever came first) last year for Christmas. Just got done reading it for the 3rd or 4th time. I feel it is the quintessential book on turkey hunting in Louisiana.
  2. Old Comment

Focus

Yes. I agree. My focus is already on turkeys for next spring. I haven't been like this is in quite a few years. My other diversions are not nearly as strong as my desire to chase turkeys.
    Posted December 24th, 2013 at 03:42 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Hey guys, I have searched for that book a few times. Best deal I could find is $90. You guys have any luck finding a cheaper copy? I would like to add this one to my collection but until I actually have a chance to look at it not sure if I am willing to pay that much for a copy.
  4. Old Comment

Book

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crawl79 View Comment
    Hey guys, I have searched for that book a few times. Best deal I could find is $90. You guys have any luck finding a cheaper copy? I would like to add this one to my collection but until I actually have a chance to look at it not sure if I am willing to pay that much for a copy.
    Wow. That is pricey. I wouldn't pay that much.
    Posted February 10th, 2014 at 12:53 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline