Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Lamplighter

Rating: 6 votes, 3.83 average.

Hunting is not an ESPN Sport

Posted April 1st, 2012 at 08:20 AM by Lamplighter
Updated April 2nd, 2012 at 08:16 AM by Lamplighter

Todays trend to divert hunting as a team sport to be engaged in competition is not good in my eyes. I predict it will be the demise of legal hunting period. Hunting used to be a rural pastime that kids did in the rural areas when they got off the school bus in the evening. They went down to the creek to get a couple squirrels. Nothing more. It is sad to see hunting promoted as a sport much like basketball. In my eyes there is no such thing as a celebrity hunter. There is no such thing as a pro staff. You go hunting, enjoy the outdoors and the time alone, take what you need and leave the rest. Kills should be set down in the bed of the truck. There is no need to go parade around with the kill jacked up in the air. There should be no one going to Africa to represent USA in an extreme hunt. That is sad indeed. Hunting is not an ESPN sport. It is a rural pastime. In my opinion, we are on a negative track indeed.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7113 Comments 3 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old Comment
    i hope when my children turn on the tv it relates to hunting and fishing.
    Posted April 10th, 2012 at 10:21 AM by black squirrel black squirrel is offline
  2. Old Comment
    I agree. This all started with the hunting video industry that began producing what I refer to as the "Call Opera", "Gear Opera", or the "Pop Up Blind Opera". It is just like the soap operas, which really are/were more about selling household goods than producing a show that offered some level of intellectual stimulation. Few hunting shows are anything but an infomercial for sponsored products. At least with the current soap operas, you can get a laugh at the bad acting.

I have no problem with people making money, but when they get behind a product that they know is stupid, like the "Squealing Hen", I got a problem with that kind of stuff. Those folks lose credibility with the public who knows what is going on. The problem is that most who buy something like that are new to the sport and get exploited by a "celebrity" who has some name recognition. And no, I did not buy a Squealing Hen; I just think it is a silly product that should have been canned when it was first conceived.
    Posted April 12th, 2012 at 04:43 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline
  3. Old Comment
    Well said Lamp!