LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > No. 2

Rate this Entry

More than a website.

Posted August 15th, 2010 at 06:09 PM by No. 2
Updated August 15th, 2010 at 08:36 PM by No. 2
Tags hey

A few weeks ago, my wife and I decided to go to the second annual “Bayou Bucks Bow and Bull Shoot” in Opelousas, La. We had everything lined up; grandparents would keep the kids, we’d leave work early Friday to get down there around 5 o'clock, and basically we would have a great weekend. What else could be better than time spent with friends, right?

We left Farmerville around 1:30 P.M., heading down 167S. After what seemed to be miles of construction, we finally rolled into Opelousas at 5 o'clock. Soon afterwards we met a gaggle of friends from Bayou Bucks at Fred Trahan’s camp and enjoyed some of the best food I’ve had in a long time. After we stayed at the party for a little while, we decided to go home to get some rest.

Then next day we had a blast at the shoot, except for I was an idiot and didn’t wear socks with my boots and now I have two blisters on the heels of feet. Yeah, I feel like a genius. After the shoot, there was some of the best jambalaya I’ve ever had waiting on us. If the great course and food weren’t enough, there were some jam up prizes given away. From beer and a T.V., to a bow and three guns, we had it all! The shoot ended and I watched as the Herpin boys, Deon and Brandon, tried to barter for one of the cases of Natural Light; it was sight to behold the way those boys were working poor old Rusty! At 4 o’clock we decided it was time to say good bye and head back to the UP and see our girls.

The long trek once again was underway, but about five miles north of the “Big O” I heard a noise that would eventually turn into being the longest ever trip from St. Landry Parish to Union Parish in the history of recent mankind. The bump cause me to pull over, the flat tire cause me to cuss, the heat almost made me almost puke, and the tall grass in the ditch gave me red bugs. I told my wife to time me, reminiscent of the greatest christmas show ever, “A Christmas Story”. I took me just shy of thirty minutes, not too bad considering I’d never changed one on this truck before. Thank God for cloud cover and the breeze from the traffic on the interstate. I was nearly done when JC Farms and Addictedtohuntin stopped to offer some assistance and if nothing else, give us some moral support. After a quick clean up job, I looked south and a silver streak was heading our way. The big head in the driver seat and the pretty lady on the passenger side told me who it was; Pistol and Angie Young. Pistol completely blocked the right hand land of I-49 north, rolled down his window, and said “You got it?” I said yes and as fast as they showed up, they were gone! JC Farms told me of a Walmart in Alexandria to try to get the tire fixed and we started limping that way. I called Scott Pitre to tell him what had happened, and once again, we were offered any help we needed. Brandon Herpin was the same way with his text message. We had that feeling of support a person feels when they are surrounded by family; it was a great feeling. Well, the Walmart closed at seven and we got there at six; what luck! We got the tire fixed and realized that a decent time reaching home would not be happening, so we made arrangements for the kids and looked for some food. Low and behold there was like a beacon, “Sake Sushi”; sushi being of course our favorite “date food”. We took our time and enjoyed the meal and time together...and the waitress who couldn’t speak a lick of english.

I was on the phone with my Dad explaining what all had happened and that we were fine. This is always where a good co-pilot comes in handy to say “Hey dude, we need to turn here”. Mine was on the phone; I mean after all she is a woman! Man, we were cruising, I mean laid back, ten miles over the speed limit, sun set was amazing, and the road was smooth as glass. Wait...167 isn’t smooth as glass! That’s when I finally realized that I had missed the exit for 167. Crap! I told the wife to get out her Garmin and hit the “Home” setting. She did and it gave us direction to, what she said was, cut across to 167N. I asked her if it was less than 20 miles, because if it wasn't, we’d go back to Alec and catch 167 there. She said “No babe, it says 11 miles here, and 8 miles there, and a few turns, then 20 feet...not too bad at all.” So we back track to Boyce, La and this is where life tests you. We made a left hand turn onto a road that looked just like a road north Union Parish, that doesn’t get traveled much. Here we are with 1/4 tank of fuel, a freshly fixed tire, and in the boondocks. I kept going and things were working out. Then when we get to the turn in Verda, yeah Verda, the Garmin said “Continue on (whatever road it was) for 20 miles.” I looked at my wife and said “Did that thing just say 20 miles?” She said as sweetly as she could, “Yeah, I thought it said feet, but it turns out it was miles.” I had to be glowing in the dark from my blood pressure being so high. I swear the GPS said one time “I have no idea where we are”. Deon Herpin was calling and texting periodically to check on us, but I didn’t have enough cell service to respond to either. Finally I got through to Deon and his easy going personality and good nature calmed my nerves. We laughed and joked and before long we came out in Winnfield, La. Once we caught 167N we got gas and, it turned into a good ride. We made it home safely at 11 o’clock and stumbled to the bed.

This whole trip made me realize that the guys and gals of BayouBucks.com are more than just members of a site, we are a family. Where else would you feel at home more that four hours away from that address? We had trouble and there’s no doubt in my mind that if I had asked ANY of those people for help, they’d have been there. I’ve never heard of this on any other web site before, but then again this isn’t your normal everyday kind of site. It’s BayouBucks.com and it’s my extended family.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7803 Comments 7 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Yep, you are from Farmerville alright!
  2. Old Comment
    glad you made it home you know i ended up giving deon a case buddy row a case and brandon a case
  3. Old Comment
    Wow man. Told you, you should have just stayed another night. Glad ya'll made it ok. Can't wait to hang out again.
    Posted August 16th, 2010 at 10:47 AM by SwampSnyper SwampSnyper is offline
  4. Old Comment
    What an adventure Greg. I'm glad ya'll made it home safely. You are so right--EVERYONE on this site will lend a hand whenever possible.
  5. Old Comment
    Glad everything worked out.
  6. Old Comment
    Your blog was a great read. Glad you made it home safe.
  7. Old Comment
    great job on the writing man. glad you made it back.