Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Random Jibberish...

Posted May 31st, 2012 at 08:50 PM by Black Spurs
Updated May 31st, 2012 at 11:46 PM by Black Spurs

I'll try not to bore you folks with weekly ramblings about uneventful things, but then again, I might. You don't have to read it, but I certainly appreciate your interest. I am closing in on the first down week of training with about 33 or so miles of running, 157 miles for May. Those aren't big miles compared to some folks who run these longer races. In fact, lots of people who don't run nearly as far do many more miles. I will probably top out a little over 200 miles a month. I can't run 400 miles a month and stay healthy. Plus, I don't have the time.

I dragged out of bed this morning after staying up past my bedtime to watch the last installment of "Hatfields and McCoys", what a brutal bunch of folks. I can't imagine hating anyone like that. Anyway, I rolled out a little later than expected, and then I got to the end of the driveway and took a left instead of a right, on a whim. I ran on down to a road that I don't know the name of and headed down it for awhile. The horseflies got bad down this road. We definitely have a healthy population of horseflies this year. I pretty much ignored them and kept running. They can definitely keep you moving along.

Somewhere along the way, I seemed to have strained my groin area. I don't know how you rest a groin area, but it isn't too bad. I just don't know what happened, nothing specific that I can identify. I wasn't too concerned about it until I came home for lunch and hugged my 6 year old who promptly lifted her knee right to that spot. That hurt...

This week I have taken advantage of the time away from running to do more indepth research on the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama. I plan to run the last 40 miles or so about a month before the race, but I want to go NOW!!! I get different reports from everyone I talk to, but the one consistent thing I hear is that it is a tough course, lots of hills and rocks. I'll need more hill work as the summer progresses.

This race is really what I consider the race of my life, the culmination of everything I have done as far as trail running goes. It is, in my mind, my destiny as a runner because many, many years ago when I was a child we would pass through the area along I-20 headed towards Gatlinburg or some other mountain town in Tennessee on vacation and see the mountains through which the Pinhoti runs. I had the urge to jump from the car and take off across those ridges to hunt or just explore. It just looked so inviting to me. We would pass through the little town of Oxford, Alabama, which has grown substantially over the years. And I used to always think it was the perfect place, nestled in those beautiful hills, a church steeple rising up from beneath the greenery. It was always a picturesque setting. I would make it a point to pass through that route when I would come home from Camp Lejeune on leave or four day weekends. As a child I had no idea that some 25 or 30 years later, I would have a chance to "take off" across those ridges in a 100 mile foot race through the woods. I just can't wait to get to the starting line... or finish line.

I don't know if it is as profound as I am trying to convince myself it is, but it serves as great motivation to continue slogging through these miles, swatting these horseflies, and running in this heat. One thing is for sure: I will not stop without a broken bone (protruding through the skin) or being forced off the course due to not making the cutoff times. Thanks for reading, and I hope you have something you enjoy when hunting season is closed as much as I enjoy running the trails when turkey season ends.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2313 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments