Bayou Bucks
Basin Taxidermy Bayou Bucks Gear Blane Normand Memorial Fishing Tourney
Belle Isle

Bayou Bucks Radio

Bayou Bucks Radio
Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer


Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Month One Review (Pinhoti)

Posted June 12th, 2012 at 09:27 PM by Black Spurs

The first month of training toward running Pinhoti is over. All things considered, things have gone pretty well. I did the longest trail run, or any type of run, this past weekend for 17 miles.

My brother, who is pacing me for about 35 miles in the race, ran with me this weekend. I don't know why, but I find it difficult to find people who want to go on long runs with me. People assume that if you run 100 mile races, you must be really fast. Actually, most people who run 100 mile races are really pretty slow, especially on the long runs. My brother paced me at Rocky Raccoon, but by the time he got into it, I was pretty much reduced to a fast walk because of my knee. We still made good time, but it was tough. I don't plan on that happening at Pinhoti.

We stepped off in the humid morning and made the first mile at a leisurely pace, which is sometimes hard to do. I have a tendency to want to go out fast in the beginning even though I know better. Nevertheless, we took it easy and rolled through the first 8.5 miles in about 1:40, which is pretty slow for that distance, but we were only halfway through.

On the second loop, the loose sand along the Amite River really starts to wear you down. You are better off walking that 1/2 mile section if the sand is not damp and firm. It was as dry as a bone despite a fair amount of rain recently. The river had a slight rise in it, with a little color to it. The heat, or was it the humidity, was wearing us down pretty good. By the time we made it to around 15.5 miles, I made a right hand turn and dove into the cool water of the river. I soaked for about five minutes. My brother did the same. We continued to run the last mile and a half back to the house, no wetter from the river water than we were from the sweat.

We went through quite a bit of water on the 17 miler, and we could have used more. The rest of the day and night was spent trying to catch up on hydration. I really thought 40 ounces for each loop would have been plenty, but I had to share some of my water with my brother who only brought a 16 ounce bottle of water, which he filled up after the first loop. So, he had 32 ounces to my 80 ounces. It all worked out, and I made another hour long run the next day.

Looking back on the first month, I hit 88 percent of my planned mileage. This time last year, I hit about 85 percent. Overall, I think things are going pretty well at this point. I had a slight bit of tightness in my left hamstring after Saturday's long run, but it seemed to loosen up pretty good on Sunday's run. And, this morning, it isn't even there anymore.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2550 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd
Copyright 2012, Limelight Productions, LLC

Copyright © Bayou Bucks. All Rights Reserved.
Website by Louisiana Web Design