Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Race Plan/Race Strategy

Posted October 9th, 2012 at 10:29 PM by Black Spurs

The term "race" implies that there is goal to beat someone to the finish line, but to me, this is not the case. I don't have the talent necessary to run a race of this magnitude with the goal of winning the race. There will be people at this race who will probably finish in under 15 hours if we get some decent weather. This is a mountain race, not the Rocky Mountains, but mountains nonetheless. As such, the plan or strategy is to complete the race within the allotted 30 hour timeframe and do so effeciently. Effeciency is the key word that describes my goal. It is the same goal I have with turkey hunting: To kill my limit of turkeys in a manner that is effecient, that is calling the turkey to me (I will, however, not hesitate to blast one that happens to walk by, especially on the last day of the season...).

Anyway, back to running... We start this race on the Pinhoti Trail in Heflin, Alabama, and we travel through the Talledega National Forest in a southerly direction along the mostly single track trail to the town of Syllacauga, Alabama. There are, I think, 19 aid station along the way. The distances between stations vary from about 3 miles to about 7 miles. We have 30 hours to complete the course and earn a handsome belt buckle with two big gobbler tracks on it. Pinhoti means "turkey home", hence the tracks.

My goal is simple: Walk the uphills and run the flats and downhills. I'd like to be able to run across the finish line. Even the race winners will walk some. It is part of the game. The biggest issue will be to take care of my feet, my stomach, and my hydration.

I will have drop bags with things I need or want at miles 27, 55, and 85. I don't think I need them any closer together than that. In those drop bags will be extra socks, Special K Protein Shakes, Nekot Peanut Butter Crackers, duct tape, extra batteries, one extra pair of shoes, a fleece pullover, a running jacket, and a few other items.

I'll eat at each aid station and carry Honey Stinger Chews with me to fill in the gaps. I threw a whole bunch of Honey Stinger Chews up on Friday, but generally they work well in conjunction with other food sources like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, soup, burritos, hamburgers, grill cheese sandwiches, etc. Things like that will be at the aid stations. I won't spend much time in aid stations. I'll get what I need and keep moving.

To take care of my electrolytes, I will take one endurolyte tablet per hour and drink HEED and/or water at the aid stations as well as drink from my handheld water bottles that I will carry with me.

I plan to start the race the same way that I plan to finish the race, walking the ups and running the flats and downs. And that basically sums up what I plan to do on November 3rd. Also, I will pick up a pacer at mile 55. The first pacer will run about 13 miles with me before I pick up my brother at mile 68 who will finish out the 100 miles. I'll post again after the race.

Thanks again for following along. I may post information for anyone who wants to follow the race on twitter or facebook before the race. Other than that, I'll post after I make to Syllacauga or get released from the hosptial.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2990 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Sounds like a solid game plan. I bet all of that pain you felt on the 90 degree day long run will pay off in spades when the weather is cooler and less humid in AL. I hope it goes well for you.
  2. Old Comment
    Thanks. Lower back has been acting up a bit, but stretching and resting seem to be cutting into the effects of that. Only about 20 miles scheduled for this week, about 107 next week.
    Posted October 22nd, 2012 at 02:39 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline