Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Skip Orgeron

Rate this Entry

Rub Lines, The thinks I learned when I was 15

Posted March 21st, 2013 at 09:46 AM by Skip Orgeron
Updated March 22nd, 2013 at 10:55 AM by Skip Orgeron

Rub Lines, The thinks I learned when I was 15 years old.

It was the early 80ís when my parents moved from Westwego Louisiana to Sun Louisiana. If youíre not familiar with Sun join the club I had no idea where this place was either until I moved there. Sun is a small town considered a village with a population around 400 people and still to this day has not changed much. Sun is located between Covington and Bogalusa Louisiana on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, as a kid who loved the outdoors I just moved to the best place around for hunting and fishing so I felt. I had access to everything you could want as an outdoor nut there was the Bogue Chitto River, The Old River that came off the Bogue Chitto at one point and returned to the river by the old train bridge in Sun. This formed a hunters paradise we called The Island, it had everything hardwoods, standing pine, sloughs and swamp. There were gravel pits with small to large lakes all throughout Sun. We had all kind of names for different places such The Tin pond, Black hole, Sandbox, Mallard Bend and the place I spent most of my time The Logging Road.
The Logging Road was a great place for all kind of hunting squirrel, rabbit, duck, hog, turkey and of course deer. My friends and I covered this place looking for the best spots to hunt at least we thought were best in our mind at the time. Iíll never forget that day when I was scouting this one slough bed looking for a stand site. The slough was surrounded be thick brush with standing water in the center only a few inches deep, I was walking the edge looking for any type of game trail hoping to see deer tracks. I jumped some deer around 4 to 5 could not tell if there were any bucks just white flags running through the brush away from me. I moved to the spot where I jumped the deer and found something I had never seen before. There were small to large saplings shredded everywhere, scrapes on the ground with deer tracks in them. Now remember I was only fifteen at the time and had seen rubs and scrapes before, but not like this, this was a first for me seeing this type of deer sign.
I really started to study the area and noticed the rubs were all on one side of the trees and you could see one rub from the next. I started following the rubs to see where it would take me; I guess I went 100 yards are so until I came to a large thicket. I decided to back track the rub line with the rubs now in front of me where I could see the marks on the trees one after another; I followed it until I came out to an old logging road which was a little more open than most of the area and some nice swamp oaks with acorns on the ground everywhere. Thatís when I began to realize I just hit gold in the deer hunting world, these signs where telling me the deerís bedding area and feeding area all I had to do was find the best spot to set my stand and wait.

So when you find a rub start looking around, look for another and so on follow it and see where it takes you, maybe a bedding or feeding area or it could be a staging spot. Once you get that done find your stand site, I look for the most ďtorn upĒ spot on the rub line where there are some scrapes and a lot of activity or if it makes a funnel in one part, you just got to look at it all and find whatís best for you to get the job done.

I know Iím not telling a lot of you something you donít already know, but there may be some out there that still have not come across a true rub line yet. Trust me when you do find one you will know when you see it because itís a sight to behold and it will get your blood pumping just like it does me even till this very day 30 years later. So did I get a deer off this spot you may ask, thatís a whole other story, but yes there was a good buck using this rub line.

By, Skip Orgeron
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3268 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Great read! Thanks Skip!
  2. Old Comment
    Thanks Jason!
    Posted March 23rd, 2013 at 05:01 PM by Skip Orgeron Skip Orgeron is offline