Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Initial thoughts on Tailwind Nutrition

Posted May 5th, 2014 at 01:09 PM by Black Spurs

Well, turkey season is over, so I am focused back on running again. I have only raced once this year, Mt. Cheaha 50K. Overall, the race was fine, and I accomplished what I wanted. As suspected, my stomach gave me some degree of trouble as the heat began to rise. Stomach issues on a 50 kilometer race can derail you, but they are nowhere near as detrimental as they can be on a 100 mile race. I have been searching for solutions to my stomach issues on long races with the possibility of heat being a factor.

Stomach issues completely derailed my Pinhoti 100 mile race in 2012, and life kept me from signing up for last year's race. But I am in this year. During my search for a solution, I came across a product called Tailwind. I had listened to a podcast that featured the product on an episode. I have also heard others mention it as a great source of nutrition for ultramarathons.

I talked to another running friend about it. He is a medical doctor, and he said he was a little skeptical based on the amount of Sucrose (table sugar) in the product. His concern, as well as mine, was spikes, and subsequent crashes, in energy. I managed to get my paws on a sample pack of Tailwind, and I gave it a try on a 3 hour run yesterday. Below are my initial concerns and how Tailwind performed.

1. I was concerned with how well the product would dissolve in water. I was immediately impressed by the fact that it completely dissolved with a few shakes in my hydration bladder. I found absolutely no chunks of the substance in the bladder at all. It was gone.

2. I was concerned about sugar crashes. Three hours is not enough for definite conclusions, but I felt good the entire run. And I was running in conditions that generally give me major problems, heat. The temp outside was 87*F, and I was exposed to a great deal of direct sunlight. I ran strong the whole time, much faster than my goal pace for the conditions with less effort. After 3 hours on the trail, I felt like I had jogged 3 miles on the road.

3. I was concerned with the stickiness found in many products similar to this. It is not sticky at all. In fact, I did eat a few orange slices along the way, and I actually used the Tailwind to rinse the stickiness from my hands.

I am picking up a large bag of this product in the next week or so from a cycling store in New Orleans. They have it for a great price. I plan to use it for a 12 hour run around July 4th. I think this product may be the answer to my prayers. I was skeptical, but I now believe that it may be possible to run 100 miles using only Tailwind. I have a lot of details to work out over the coming months, but I was very impressed.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6065 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Run the race! Drink some water. I need to start running again for deer season. Hunters need to be in shape.