Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Skewerer

Rate this Entry

10/13/2012: Tough Conditions/Good Hunts

Posted October 24th, 2012 at 10:56 PM by Skewerer

The morning of Saturday, 10/13 would be my first morning hunt of the season. I got up early, made coffee, and headed for the camp. I got myself ready and loaded the Lone Wolf in the Bad Boy before heading to my hunting area.

The previous afternoon, I did some scouting and found a heavily used deer trail connecting a swampy bedding area with a oak flat loaded with white oaks. I made my way into the area and hung my lock on in the cover of darkness.

The morning was largely uneventful. The squirrels were moving, and they kept me entertained for the most part. A small turtle also crawled past me before burrowing under the dried leaves. Then, as I packed up my gear at the end of the hunt, I noticed an owl perched a short distance away from my tree.

I took a few pictures from my stand, and then I climbed down to see if I could get closer to him. He let me approach to within 8 to 10 yards before he decided to relocate. Owls are pretty amazing animals, and it was neat to get so close to one.

During mid day, I helped my uncle put some clover seed out on a few food plots for the rifle hunters. The weather was nice, and with rain in the forecast for Sunday the timing couldn't have been better.

Saturday afternoon, I hunted a lock-on that my uncle had hung the previous Thursday. He had some old corn and rice bran that had gotten infested with bugs, and he dumped it in the woods to see if anything would show interest in it.

I don't know about the bugs in the feed, but the mosquito bugs were out in full force! I did my best to fend them off with the thermacell, but they managed to get their pound of flesh before vacating the area.

The afternoon hunt was loaded with action. First, a group of young does and nub bucks approached my set to nibble on a few bites of corn and rice bran. They didn't hang around long because the mosquitoes were giving them grief too.

Not long afterward, a few more does and fawns passed by just out of bow range. They too were moving quickly in an effort to evade the mosquitoes.

I was just sitting there taking it all in when I heard a noise to my right and looked over to see horns bobbing my direction. It was a 2.5 year old 8-point coming in to check out the rice bran. He only stuck around for a minute or so before the mosquitoes ran him off in the direction from which he came, but it was neat to see a racked buck instead of the usual slick head. In another couple of years, he won't be getting a pass from this hunter!

Right at last shooting light, I had a fawn try to come in but I managed to run her off with my camera. All of the pictures were out of focus, but I wanted to try some photography at last light to see how the camera did.

Overall it was a productive day in the woods. Managed to get some cool shots of the owl and saw a nice buck. The freezer is starting to get low, so the does might be in trouble sometime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glendora 003.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glendora 027.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glendora 042.jpg
Views:	1057