Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > TomFaber

Rate this Entry

Safety reminder from a rude awakening-

Posted November 29th, 2010 at 11:26 AM by TomFaber

So, last Friday the day after Thanksgiving, I head to my stand while it is still dark. It rained all day Thursday, so I get pretty damp on my way in. I reach my stand at about 5:50 AM, this stand is nothing fancy, just a Wal-Mart 2 man ladder stand cost about $100.00 a couple of years ago, but we use several of them on our property.

After climbing up and sitting down on a very WET and COLD cushion I settle in for the morning. The sun rises, the wind is perfect, there is rustling in woods, and then.... KAPOW, it sounds like a 22 rifle shot not 2 feet behind me. Now I get the sensation that the tree my stand is leaning against is falling. This all plays out in slow motion, but it must have happened in a matter of 2 seconds. The tree is not falling but rather my stand is falling, with me in it, the KAPOW was not a 22 rifle but rather the strap holding my stand to the tree breaking. Somehow I managed to get turned around, and get ahold of the tree, and pull me and the stand back to it. After bear hugging the tree for a few minutes, I climbed my fat, wet, scared, but still clean butt down out of the tree and went home...

Lesson learned, replace the straps on all of my ladder stands EVERY YEAR, whether they look good or not. Suggest y'all do the same. It could save a lot of heartache.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4112 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    wow man that's crazy. Glad you're ok