Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > doublej

Rate this Entry

Thoughts

Posted March 21st, 2011 at 09:09 PM by doublej

Never did a blog..but was thinking about this and figured this would be a good place to put it.
Was just thinking about how this site seems to expand the hunting/shooting that people do.. IF that makes sense..having trouble wording it..

But a few examples... Trad bows, a lot of people hadn't shot one but once the talk got to flowing on here a lot of people ended up buying one are started considering it. And now there's Trad bow talk on here everyday.I don't have one yet but probably will get one soon.

Another one is Turkey hunting, I know for me it was always just sort of something I'd like to do one day. But after getting on here and seeing how fired up about it some guys are I figured I'd give it a shot and planning to make my first hunt this weekend.

I don't shoot 3D at present but it seems like a lot of people on here started once they became members and saw all the other people on here that shot and started hearing about all the shoots..

And there's a bunch of other things.. I feel that it's actually a really good thing, all of us on here enjoy the outdoors but the fact that this site has expanded the ways that many of us do that is a great thing. Many of us have found new ways to enjoy something that we've loved for a long time.Of course this is something that's been happening on a large scale since the internet began, but to see it here in a outdoors context is pretty cool.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4311 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    If you think about the doors that have been opened to people with the Internet, it is amazing. Prime examples are the revolution in Egypt; the rebellion in Libya; the fight in Syria, etc. Unfortunately, all those things deal with bloodshed, but the point is that people have access to gain information and give information like never before. What we get on sites like this is certainly not as profound as the events described above, but a person who wants to start something new, like turkey hunting, can gain information in a matter of minutes that would ordinarily take years upon years to learn on your own. Of course, nothing takes the place of actual experience, but you can certainly get a headstart that most didn't have before the Internet.

I have hunted all my life, but I still learn a few tricks from others on this particular site. Plus, since it is a forum, it is interactive. An article in a magazine is simply written and no additional information is available to the reader. Here you have a community in place that is just as functional as any community that exists in a face-to-face environment. In fact, it is often more functional because what we get with our ability to write, read, and respond is, or can be, more informative because there is no social expectation of an appropriate response time. That is to say, if you think about something five minutes after a conversation is over, it is awkward to bring it back up in a face-to-face conversation. The subject has probably changed or moved on to a different issue.
    Posted April 28th, 2011 at 12:44 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline