Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

Rate this Entry

Tapering

Posted November 21st, 2011 at 02:21 PM by Black Spurs

Last week, I had some residual effects of the 40+ miler from the week before. I had a pain in my left foot that felt alot like Plantar Fasciitis, a painful condition where the tendon from your heel to you toes is inflamed. It is an injury that takes time to get under control. I was quite nervous for a couple of days. I rolled the foot, taped the foot with Kinesio Tape, and rested for two days. I even cancelled a trip to Clear Springs where I was going to run a 20 miler on Saturday.

After work on Friday, I decided to go up to the hunting lease and do a 10 miler to see how the foot was doing. The first 3.55 mile loop was pretty uneventful. I did stop to watch a deer feeding in a food plot at 5 PM, and I saw some fresh turkey sign. I was feeling good about all of that, and the foot wasn't hurting. I figured I would know immediately if it was going to be a problem. I continued to run, only marginally concerned about actually having PF like I did last year at about this time, which kept me from running a half marathon for which I had trained hard.

About a mile into the second loop, it got dark. And my, my was it dark. I continued onward through the course, which looks completely different at night than it does during the daylight. It was almost like running blindly through an area you have never been. It is hard to tell how far you have to go because you can't see all the landmarks you take for granted during the daylight. The intersecting trails you mentally check off as you pass them are generally passed by without being seen. The darkness was all encompassing. It seemed like the wee hours of the morning when I finished, but it was only 6:45. I never did any walking on this 10 mile run, not even the long hills. I feel a little embarrassed about calling these hills after running in Utah, but I guess they are still hills that do take a toll on you after awhile. I was a little disappointed in my inability to run this course faster than I did. I only averaged 11 minute miles; granted, I stopped and watched a deer for five minutes but still... It was too slow, and it was hard to maintain that pace. I guess that is the point: It was too slow to be difficult for 10 miles, even at night for the most part. Perhaps my legs have not come back to me since the long run a week ago. I am not sure. I have never run that far, so it is all new territory to me. But at least I am not hurting.

So, at the end of the run, I got in my truck and found myself starving. I headed to a friend's house, ate some roast, drank a vodka and cranberry juice, and watched some television. I was pleased by the fact that I had no pain, even before the vodka and cranberry. I did not run at all on Saturday or Sunday. I am supposed to be resting, but that is difficult to do. It seems counterintuitive to be relaxing for two weeks before the longest run of your life, but this is what I am told I should do by folks who know alot more than I do. It really seems like everything for the past several months has been leading up to the long run I did a week ago. Since the 40+ miler, I have a week of 25 miles, and this week will be about 25 miles. Next week, about 15 to 20 miles and the big day. Then again, when you look at the 40+ and the 25, you end up with close to 70; this week is light; and next week will be over 80 when you consider the race is 62 miles. I guess I am doing okay. I just need to suck it up and rest. I'll post again on December 4th, after the race is over.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1800 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments