Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Ben Allgood's Blog

Rate this Entry

Soybeans with Durana clover

Posted March 11th, 2009 at 09:53 PM by Benallgood
Updated June 8th, 2011 at 01:24 PM by Benallgood

I was pleasantly surprised today when I went to check on my mom's place that I had planted in http://www.eagleseed.com roundup-ready soybeans during the summer, then overseeded with no disking Durana clover after the soybean leaves turn yellow. This has been a favorite of mine. I didn't use a cover crop of winter wheat as I didn't think alot of deer would use it, and I don't really hunt it. Well, there were deer tracks everywhere that I could see dirt, and the clover had filled in nicely. All you do is plant these soybeans during the summer, keep them weed free by spraying with roundup, then broadcast a cover crop such as wheat or oats along with a clover such as Durana in the fall. There is no disking involved in the fall, so there is not a time that the deer do not use it. Now, I have a year round plot that just needs to be maintained by mowing/spraying.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_002.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	28

Name:	IMAGE_004.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	29

Name:	IMAGE_005.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	30
Posted in Hunting Journal, QDM
Views 7002 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment

very nice

Is that how it looks over in Big Bend too?? Are going to go back with the soybeans this summer or do you just let the clover keep rolling?

Which bean did you plant? I emailed the guy at eagleseeds and there were a few different types.
  2. Old Comment

very nice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Comment
    Is that how it looks over in Big Bend too?? Are going to go back with the soybeans this summer or do you just let the clover keep rolling?

Which bean did you plant? I emailed the guy at eagleseeds and there were a few different types.
    The clover is coming up good there too. But, someone decided to help me out with my foodplot I did there this year, and disked mine when they did theirs. It was my fault for not letting them know before, or telling them what I was doing. I'll just keep the clover mowed/sprayed and overseed with wheat or oats this fall for more attraction. I might drill corn into it and leave it standing for cover. The deer might not leave it standing though. They didn't before when I planted corn and soybeans together.

The seeds I got were their Game Keeper Blend. This is the way to go if you are going to plant summer plots. Plant these soybeans in early summer, then wait until they start yellowing in the fall. Then, overseed it with a perennial mix or an annual depending on what you want. If it's a perennial, you won't need to start back over in the summer if it's maintained.