Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Hi-wall

Rate this Entry

White smoke and White Belly

Posted November 13th, 2011 at 07:52 PM by Hi-wall

Saturday the 12th marked a few milestones in my hunting. It was the first hunt on the new place. First hunt in 3 years. First hunt for my nephew after finding out he has brain cancer.
The tumor caused him to have stroke like symptoms on his right side and have memory and reasoning problems. He was determined to hunt so we built him a ground blind.
It was hot Saturday afternoon. The wind was near 15 MPH and was over 70 degrees. I parked at the old house place to let Spot ride his Big Red back to his stand and I would cut across the pasture to a tripod on a big food plot.
I had to crawl under the fence, no easy task for an old fat man, and then when I got in the stand I realized I had lost my phone. I had to climb down and go get it.
Back in the stand I realized I had forgotten my binoculars so I enjoyed my time taking phone photos and texting.
about 4:30 I saw a spike in the privet hedge not 20 steps from the stand. He was facing me when he cleared the brush so I shot him in the neck. He went down.
I was in no hurry so I swabbed the barrel but the patch stuck at the bottom. No problem, just remove the breech plug. Yes, of course I dropped it. Well I was climbing down anyway. Found the plug, put it in and reloaded. Went and took the photos, drug the deer 50 feet to the fence and waited for dark.
Got out to the truck waited for Spot to arrive then drove into the pasture and retrieved the deer.
First muzzleloader buck in 5 years.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4556 Comments 1 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Great story Hi-wall. Congrats on the milestones. I like your sense of humor on getting old, lol...