Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Blogs > Black Spurs

1. Old Comment

General Fitness cont...

Black Spurs, I am envious that you can run. My knees and ankles are shot, so walking is my exercise of choice (2-3 miles per day)--I don't dare run unless the world is coming to an end. Walking in boots into the woods or in flat shoes on even ground is a challenge for me. I can turn an ankle on hardwood floors in bare feet with nothing impeding me.

Kudos to you on your progress--you are so right &the weight loss is an added bonus. We need to get in the best physical condition we can to go hunt those thunderchickens!
  2. Old Comment

General Fitness

Running

Skillet Ridge:
    I am running a half marathon on December 5th in BR. That will be my first organized run. The problem with running is that I am getting more addicted to that than hunting.
    Posted October 17th, 2009 at 04:12 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline
    Updated October 17th, 2009 at 04:15 PM by Black Spurs (I wasn't finished writing)
  3. Old Comment

General Fitness

Thats a good question

Alot of hunters should do some sort of program. I'm like you I run and condition in season and during the off season. I run know up to 8 miles, I'm in training for a 10k in march. My goal is a marathon before long. But can I tell you i feel better when I'm scouting during the late summer. During the season when I'm hanging stands I don't get winded at all and the most important thing is that I'm in total comfort when I sitting in my stand during the winter.
    Posted September 10th, 2009 at 01:26 PM by Skillet Ridge Skillet Ridge is offline
  4. Old Comment

General Fitness

It really does. I feel much better when I get my workout in. I also take a good multi vitamin and I can def tell the difference. Friends tell me its overkill but since I have started them I havent had a cold or felt bad at all......going on 10 months and even my joints feel better.
  5. Old Comment

General Fitness

I think quite a few people are getting into the P90X craze. I just think it is good to take care of yourself. It makes life more enjoyable in general.
    Posted July 28th, 2009 at 09:19 PM by Black Spurs Black Spurs is offline
  6. Old Comment

General Fitness

I got lazy last year and let my health get away form me. I'm a part time firefighter/EMT so physical labor comes along with the job. After a house fire about 4 months ago I realized how out of shape I had bacame. So after 3 months of getting my butt back in shape I run 2.5 - 3 miles at least every other day along with weight training. When I'm on the ambulance and can't run I do the P90X abripper and cardiox. I feel so much better and my back does not hurt every morning when I wake up. So this year a 2 mile hike back to the deep woods where ole buckzilla is hiding won't hurt so bad!
  7. Old Comment

General Fitness

I did P90X this spring and it's great. I still do some of the cardio workouts about twice a week along with my weight training. I also do push-ups and pull-ups every other day before I leave. Push-ups usually around 4 sets of 50 and the pull ups are 6 sets of 10. I want to have wind and strength to hang stands and hopefully drag a nice deer fromt he woods this year. I paid for it the year I didn't keep up with my routine......huffing and puffing all the way through the woods.
  8. Old Comment

General Fitness

I used to work out hard 6 days a week. I'll be getting back into the routine soon.
  9. Old Comment

HB172

I live in the Northern part of the state and work in Arkansas. I talk with a guy who hunted Ark and LA and he said the same thing you heard about them starting early this year. Said it was the earliest he'd ever heard them start. But then again, he rather climb a tree and tell a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth, but after I read what you said, he may have been right. I didn't get to hunt at all this year so I have no opinion about this years season. I know guys who got birds and I know guys who didn't.