LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old July 26th, 2016
Visit catsquirrel's Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bya-boy View Post
I don't hunt there so I can't really help but outside of someone telling you where to go, help me and others understand what kind of help you're hoping to get?
I was hoping for a decent discussion about this refuge.. That was my intentions anyway. I hunt a lot of different areas where the deer really key in on certain food sources more in some places than they do in others & you can waste your time scouting some over the other. Some places have real good American beauty berries(French mulberries) some places they hammer the honey locust more, some really have a lot of persimmons or crabapples, a few they seem to prefer the red oaks over the white oaks, etc etc, I don't know what kind of terrain or food sources to really expect those deer to stay in most of the time, I was hoping someone hunts it & wanted to talk a little about this place since its so far for me to drive my scouting time will be limited versus the places I hunt around home, I know I have spent days scouting areas due to wasting time on low activity areas just because it was a new place that I had never been to before, I was kinda looking for the type of person that hunts it who is passionate about the outdoors & likes to see others do well, is it lots of water & sloughs or ridges, creek bottoms, briar thickets, do I need hip boots, waders or just plain knee boots. I was trying to get a little advice on what kind of places seem to pay out for people more, like things to key in on topo maps. If you talk to the rite person they can save you a lot of wasted time.
Old July 27th, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquirrel View Post
I was hoping for a decent discussion about this refuge.. That was my intentions anyway. I hunt a lot of different areas where the deer really key in on certain food sources more in some places than they do in others & you can waste your time scouting some over the other. Some places have real good American beauty berries(French mulberries) some places they hammer the honey locust more, some really have a lot of persimmons or crabapples, a few they seem to prefer the red oaks over the white oaks, etc etc, I don't know what kind of terrain or food sources to really expect those deer to stay in most of the time, I was hoping someone hunts it & wanted to talk a little about this place since its so far for me to drive my scouting time will be limited versus the places I hunt around home, I know I have spent days scouting areas due to wasting time on low activity areas just because it was a new place that I had never been to before, I was kinda looking for the type of person that hunts it who is passionate about the outdoors & likes to see others do well, is it lots of water & sloughs or ridges, creek bottoms, briar thickets, do I need hip boots, waders or just plain knee boots. I was trying to get a little advice on what kind of places seem to pay out for people more, like things to key in on topo maps. If you talk to the rite person they can save you a lot of wasted time.
Gotcha... Make sense to me now and is a respectable request for help. Hopefully someone who hunts there will hook you up with some of those details. I thought about checking the place out but just can't get over the high dollar license. Good luck!
Old July 31st, 2016
Visit catsquirrel's Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bya-boy View Post
Gotcha... Make sense to me now and is a respectable request for help. Hopefully someone who hunts there will hook you up with some of those details. I thought about checking the place out but just can't get over the high dollar license. Good luck!
Thank you. Yes license is a hangup but I'm willing to pay I reckon.
Old August 1st, 2016

Duck hunting can reduce the quality of your deer hunting. You can't leave the parking area until 4 AM. At that point, it's a mad dash to get to the top holes. Palmetto ridges, hardwoods, sloughs. When the water decides to get up, it can really get up. Like many of the lands in the NWR system, it once held high numbers of deer. They've been knocked down pretty good.
Not any better than the top NWRs in Louisiana. The one plus is that there is a statewide antler restriction. In that zone, most bucks will 3 years old to qualify.
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors

Passed it up yesterday morning. Went see Truston Holder wma in Arkansas too.
Sponsored Links
Old 4 Days Ago

Lamp, take a boat up there and hunt White River NWR. Big, amazing country.
Old 4 Days Ago
Board of Directors

T.H. Is one of the sweet 16 areas.
15” min spread.