Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Contests > Bruiser Bowl > Backstrap Bloodhounds

Backstrap Bloodhounds 0: On the 8th day God created the Bloodhounds.

Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Default Hog Death #31-32 - Orion

1. 11/1/2018, 11/3/2018
2.area 1 public land
3.micro 22 mag
4. 120lb spotted boar, 60lb spotted boar

Got to the camp a bit earlier than usual on thrusday evening so decided to go for a quick scout at one of my areas. They had hog sign everywhere. Before long I see 2 hogs up ahead working my way on an overgrown trail in a cutover. I knew I needed a head shot to avoid losing the pig in untrackable area. I wait in the cover to the side the trail and within 1 minute the 1st pig is busting through the palmettos on the opposite side. He turns to me and stops. With the cross hairs between the eyes I drop him with on the 6 yard shot.
The next day I went to some hills with my recurve bow carrying just one arrow all day. Not much hog sign in this area, but it was a great workout doing 8.5 hours of hiking throughout the day. I had a doe @ 23yds in range when I jumped one feeding and the closer big doe was just staying put quartering away perfectly, but she was behind a few small trees and I had no shot. My buddy had lost a hog with his bow that morning but finally got his 1st hog of the year with his shotgun that evening. Walking out the woods in dark I fell in a deep gulley where the roots and leaves had hid the 5 foot deep hole. I broke my arrow, my gps fell in the hole and I broke my arrow. Glad my I didn't break my bow or fall on my broadhead. I had to take off my shoes and grab the gps 4 feet down in the mud hole with my feet to lift it out of the hole that I couldn't reach with my hands. Then my light and gps both went dead on the 90 minute hike out to the truck in the dark. Having my compass was useless since I couldn't see it but luckily I had made it up the finger and to the top ridge when my gps finally died with just 1/3rd mile to go so made it out. It was a wild hike out.

Saturday I went for a 3 hour 5 minute run in the morning with my dog determined to wear myself down so I could be content sitting in the climber with my recurve for the evening. Well the run wasn't long enough because all I wanted to do was cover ground but I reluctantly got in the climber after hiking in 2 miles and toted the micro 22 as well for pigs out of range. Well after 20 minutes I’m bored to tears thinking this sucks. All I want to go do is stalk hunting. Well 30 minutes into the hunt I hear hogs fighting a ways off and they were really going at it. That’s enough of sitting in place for me and I hustle down and over to the commotion with my 1 arrow as usual. As I approach I see a big doe @ 41yards feeding broadside but I can’t get closer. 2 deer eventually enter the palmettos with me never getting in range. Soon I get near the tussling pigs. They are still fighting as I approach focused on a recurve kill. I'm 30ish yards away from all the roaring and squeling in the edge of the palmettos. Then, another pack of about 8 hogs cuts across the swamp heading for the pack of 10 or so pigs fighting. The big boar from the open swamp pack sees me, stops and looks at me several times but joins the other pack. Then, they all start to leave and cut across the swamp about 50 yards away. I un shoulder my 22 and get a head shot on the biggest boar but as soon as I shot I realized I aimed too far behind the ear. The hog ran off limping into the cutover grunting and mad at heck. I tried to track but no luck in the 10 foot high briar getting all bloodied up. Not sure how smart is was to track a ticked off boar in vines and briars with a crackbarrel 22 but it was fun!

Still I needed to get back on the action b4 dark so I hook around to another swamp and see 2 pigs feeding out in the open, with dry leaves unable to get close I use the 22 micro and put down a spotted 60lb boar on a 60yard shot. The bullet hit in front the 1st shoulder, went through the spine, opposite shoulder plate bone and opposite hide -Raw power from that CCI 40 grain gamepoint. Easy peasy harvest!

Hustling back to my climber and cleaning gear b4 it got dark I see another huge pack of hogs fighting. I try to put on a recurve stalk but in the open swamp with 10 hogs one busts me as I’m at 35yards. I enter the palmettos to follow with no luck but see 3 does at 30 yards that never give me any type of shot.

After cleaning the pig and hiking that 2.65 miles to the truck from that spot I cover over 52,000 steps on the day!

Sunday I wake up and go in deep in the drizzle. I forgot to check the radar and think this is perfect conditions as I’m starting to get cold and wet in a compression tshirt and thin compression tights and running shoes and go with one arrow and just my recurve. I got thicker clothes in my bag to go tracking the boar I lost. Soon I see a sow with 3 piglets feeding in the open swamp with a crosswind. I make the approach with my recurve and get 21 yards away in range but waiting for a perfect look to send an arrow with a few vines I’m waiting for them to clear. I’m just waiting for a shot when the sky goes nearly black. The wind must’ve swirled because the pig looks my way and trots off with her piglets following giving me shot. Bummer, I walk deeper and it starts to rain hard. I’m now over 3 miles from the truck and freezing. I put on my fleece clothes and look for the boar busting through loads of pickers but no luck finding him and now my clothes are wet and heavy and the rain isn’t stopping so I power hike out very cold. Later that day I go walking looking for a camera I lost but never found it then came home early since my wife asked for date night.

Planning to start hunting longer hours in the stand once the rut kicks off mid December at one WMA I hunt but until then I’ll be mostly stalk hunting and covering ground to train. Sitting in the climber I’m thinking about the 1000s of non-rut hunting hours I’ve put in the climber in my years only to shoot one racked buck and only see a handful of decent bucks in oct-early dec with .01% success vs all the animals and racked bucks I’ve nearly had while walking….ground level is the choice for now but hopefully I get in the climber a few hours next weekend. Mid December i'll start stacking up the deer though once I see them bucks start moving! Whata crazy is ive covered 100s of miles in the woods and haven't seen or jumped a racked buck since september.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45407008_2254538011247324_4904216782123827200_n.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	102808   Click image for larger version

Name:	45424901_2254538081247317_7962202066305155072_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	102809   Click image for larger version

Name:	45506225_2254540087913783_5801576806221873152_n.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	102810   Click image for larger version

Name:	S0699272.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	102811   Click image for larger version

Name:	S0799312.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	102812  

Old 1 Week Ago

Enjoyed the post, better than outdoor life. Lol.
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Way to go man! Love the gun, but I need quicker follow-up shots! Lol
Old 6 Days Ago

Always a good time when the hogs are everywhere. Keeps it exciting.
Old 6 Days Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Savant View Post
Way to go man! Love the gun, but I need quicker follow-up shots! Lol
Yes with follow up shots from a semi auto or my shotgun i wouldve had many more hogs for sure but no worries ill be back for the ones that got away ; )

I really want to evenutally get supressed 12 gauge pump with subsonic shells to take out loads of pigs in silence
Sponsored Links
Old 2 Days Ago
Horn Stars

I tried to send you a private message but you have that disabled...

I was curious if hogs have a "season" on WMA's or does using a gun/shotgun fall under squirrel season for the way you hunt?

I guess hogs can be killed year round but it also says you must use the gear for any open season.

Feral hogs may be taken during any legal
hunting season on WMAs by properly
licensed and/or permitted hunters bearing a
license and gear legal for specified seasons
in progress

It's a little confusing I guess
Old 2 Days Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggoh View Post
I tried to send you a private message but you have that disabled...

I was curious if hogs have a "season" on WMA's or does using a gun/shotgun fall under squirrel season for the way you hunt?

I guess hogs can be killed year round but it also says you must use the gear for any open season.

Feral hogs may be taken during any legal
hunting season on WMAs by properly
licensed and/or permitted hunters bearing a
license and gear legal for specified seasons
in progress

It's a little confusing I guess
Its very confusing at 1st, especially since some of the other seasons allowing hog hunting are listed in the TRAPPING PAMPHLET....whoever decided to list wma hunting rules on several species (nutria, coon, opossum) in that separate pamphlet instead of the hunting one has dropped the ball. Then trying to figure out the EXACT wording of what dates a rimfire and shotgun are allowed is like taking an exam in a law class in college which often receives conflicting answers from warden to warden lol. There's no specific hog season at most of the WMA's including the ones I hunt, so I'm just technically hunting the small game, nutria or crow seasons and write that on my permit cards depending on what weapon I'm using.

The good thing is they removed the bowhunting with bows only rule a few years back so one can have a rimfire or shotgun with correct ammo while bowhunting to take out hogs out of range or that move through too fast for an archery shot. This is why I love micro weapons so I can often tote in multi weapons per hunt when I'm not planning to jog on the hunt.

Well hogs can't be taken year round since part of the year exist no hunting season, but that's only a few months during the summer and a few weeks in the spring which sucks because when I'm bowfishing during the summer I could have easily taken out many through the years with my bowfishing recurve setup lol. I self sharpen my blades on my bowfishing arrows and that big 2 blade with a 2.5 inch diameter razor sharperned steel head on a super heavy bowfishing arrow weighing well over 1000 grains would do some damage if they allowed me to sling it! But I follow the rules : )

forgot I changed my profile stuff and switched emails this summer. I'll go fix that.