Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member
Horn Stars

I called in and killed a nice 6 pointer in LA back in 2011 with a true talker
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chairman

Lots of hunters, including myself, have had luck with a grunt call. However, I've never heard one that sounded like the real thing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thank the lord, I thought I was the only one who has never grunted in a buck. Iíve used grunt in Kisatchie,Tensas,Dewey wills, bushley bayou,private land.......never had any success. But everyone I talk to at work says they grunt em In all the time. I think they are full of crap, Iím in the woods year round . Let a bunch of little ones walk, I grunt at them just to see what happens. 0 success.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member
Horn Stars

I have way better luck rattling
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTMAG View Post
Thank the lord, I thought I was the only one who has never grunted in a buck. Iíve used grunt in Kisatchie,Tensas,Dewey wills, bushley bayou,private land.......never had any success. But everyone I talk to at work says they grunt em In all the time. I think they are full of crap, Iím in the woods year round . Let a bunch of little ones walk, I grunt at them just to see what happens. 0 success.
We must not be holding our mouth right....
Sponsored Links
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTMAG View Post
Thank the lord, I thought I was the only one who has never grunted in a buck. I’ve used grunt in Kisatchie,Tensas,Dewey wills, bushley bayou,private land.......never had any success. But everyone I talk to at work says they grunt em In all the time. I think they are full of crap, I’m in the woods year round . Let a bunch of little ones walk, I grunt at them just to see what happens. 0 success.
I can't say I have grunted in bucks all the time, but I have grunted them in numerous times. Certainly not 100% of the time. Probably more like 10% of the time. That's on public and private land, rut and non-rut. I have also grunted at bucks I didn't want to shoot just to see how they react, and have had them ignore the grunt call. Who knows?
Same with rattling. I have rattled in a few. Not many.
Years ago I bought a fawn in distress bleat call. The first time I used it in a big Arkansas river bottom full of palmettos, I had two does literally run to my stand. Stop about 20 yards away and look around, presumably for the fawn they thought they heard. I have called in a lot of does with the fawn bleat and simply used it to bring a doe in hopes she'll bring a buck with her. Never happened. Always just a doe, and I have heard on two occasions fawns actually bleat for their mother. It is kinda cool just to bring in does with the call, but again varying success. I have used the call while I saw does in the distance and it was completely ignored, and other times I watched the does move quickly in my direction within seconds of my calling.
Anybody else ever use one of those fawn in distress calls?
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors
Visit Chadabear's Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Lots of hunters, including myself, have had luck with a grunt call. However, I've never heard one that sounded like the real thing.
For most, I think it's primarily that we very rarely hear them grunt and know exactly the tone, or cadence they use, because, like a turkey, they are all unique to them. Some may be louder, and probably most are low toned enough where we cant hear. I am fortunate enough to hunt Illinois, alot...And the deer will ABSOLUTELY come to a grunt, and have had some not pay a mind. I think it's all on how and what the deer is feeling. I have grunted up a ton of deer over the years on my land in West baton Rouge, and have many in different parts of Mississippi.
I do take into account, that when grunting deer, they will come into a range that they can see for a distance, and will generally stop and observe, and if they can't visually see a deer, will leave. Unless it is really thick, and they can't get a true bearing.
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadabear View Post
For most, I think it's primarily that we very rarely hear them grunt and know exactly the tone, or cadence they use, because, like a turkey, they are all unique to them. Some may be louder, and probably most are low toned enough where we cant hear. I am fortunate enough to hunt Illinois, alot...And the deer will ABSOLUTELY come to a grunt, and have had some not pay a mind. I think it's all on how and what the deer is feeling. I have grunted up a ton of deer over the years on my land in West baton Rouge, and have many in different parts of Mississippi.
I do take into account, that when grunting deer, they will come into a range that they can see for a distance, and will generally stop and observe, and if they can't visually see a deer, will leave. Unless it is really thick, and they can't get a true bearing.
Exactly!! One of the bucks I grunted in this year was shot 40yds. I "thought" I heard a grunt but everyone thinks they hear grunts but aren't. I pulled my grunt call out and gave it a few grunts. He was probably 75yrds and grunted 10-12 more times until he was 40yrds. I never seen him until he busted through the thicket so you are spot on. He couldn't pin point the grunt so came in to see.
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors

Oh and my grunt call didn't sound like his grunt at all.
Old 1 Week Ago

I would suggest the Flex tone call , from Buck Commander, you can adjust it from button buck to 12 point by just moving two fingers.

While you're at it, you might as well pick up a 4 pack of Cabala's wool socks, just in case you come across a friend in a heavy metal band that needs a pair.