Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Contests > Bruiser Bowl > Backstrap Bloodhounds

Backstrap Bloodhounds 0: On the 8th day God created the Bloodhounds.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Default Hog Death #44 with the 44 - primitive pistol!

1. 11/30/2018
2.area 1 public land
3. 44 mag primitive pistol
4. 175lb spotted sow

Friday morning I hit the woods at dawn on Yancey to cover ground with my recurve. I was worn out from the previous dayís 21 miles of running including an extremely hard 30 x 400 meter repeat workout @ 80 flat splits ( 5:20 mile pace) with :61 200 meter jog recoveries (8:04 pace) on a hard turning cement track since the good tracks were not open. Still my legs perked up as soon as I hit the woods as usual. I repositioned a few cameras and found trees to climb for later in the year. I found the feed tree a nice buck that was passing on my camera had been going to with loads of scrapes, rubs amd droppings under it. I had 2 bucks in dark on film but only a few does on daylight since the doe days. Still I left the woods excited about the coming hunts after jumping deer twice with no fresh hog sign. I grabbed my cleaned hog tusks from last weeks boar to take home. I have two hot nutalls with one for a North and one with a South to recurve hunt later in the month.

That evening I hiked into Cocodrie for the primitive hunting. I took only my pistol and monopod and headed for my deep lockon. Well 300 yards b4 arriving there started fresh hog sign so I slowed. Within 50 yards they appeared. A big slightly spotted sow was leading the pack toward me with several others on her tail. Man the 3rd hog was a BEAUTIFUL nearly all white pig with less than 10% black spots. Just white as ever but without a scope I had to settle for the 1st ethical shot I was offered on this pack heading right to me.

The lead hog looked at me briefly but then kept coming. I set up my 44 mag contender pistol on the monopod at a standing height and aimed my micro reddot on her. I had the hog on target but with this 3 moa reddot no precise shots can be easily made on a small target like a hogís brain while moving unless very close. She was at 35 yards and still closing. Finally in perfect range but I needed her to turn. Bingo, @ 30 yards she turns nearly broadside and I instantly let the pistol talk!

This 1970s contender frame has the lightest trigger pull I ever squeezed. Everyone who tries it canít believe how easy that trigger goes to the slightest touch which is great for shooting a pistol imo. But the 3lb ultra light mag with a thin barrel kicks with some force! My hearing headphones worked great for blocking all the noise as they always do.

The hog ran back into the palmettos but I could tell she was smoked with a vital hit from the few staggering steps I saw. I instantly went track.

The rest of the pigs took off and I found blood and loads of it. The pig made it about 50 yards with a nice heart shot from the copper expander that had a complete pass through. A pistol kill is just as fun and challenging as most bow kills to me and gives me a great feeling of accomplishment. I'm still excited about this harvest today.

After cleaning the pig I decided to go stalk around the area and look for deer sign. I didnít see any buck sign or other hunters walking the rest of the evening which bummed me out about the lack of deer tracks and no scrapes/rubs to be found.

I saw one other pack of hogs and passed on some 50/60 yard shots and moved closer. Another hog bee-lined it right to me and busted me.

The next morning I was stopping for gas and was curious of the dates of other places for the coming month and also wanted to double check my dates for the morning hunt. Well little did a realize when I hit googleís 1st result for LA hunting regs that on the LDWF the hunting regs page comes up is last yearís pamphlet. I didnít read the dates on the title clearly enough and just saw the 2018 but mustíve missed the 2017 preceeding it in my hasty glance on the small screen focused on reading the wma dates not thinking to carefully inspect the pamphlet title on LDWF's page. Well when I got to the page of place I wanted to hunt it said buckís only opens Sunday. I thought darn I was wrong about the date, thatís odd and after waking early and driving a ways with no bow in the truck I turned around messing up my entire morning.

I saw bucks crossing the hwy at dawn. Then went to the camp for my pistol. Going in the woods much later than planned I entered Cocodrie set up in my lock on I wanted the hunt the previous evening b4 taking the hog. I saw a big boar pass out of pistol range behind me. Would've been an easy gun shot but that red dot with no mag at 70-80 yards is tough to find the vitals on a slowly moving target between brush. Without seeing much deer sign on the walk in I decided to end my sit after 10 minutes and go stalk. The hog had walked downwind and disappeared for good into the thick briars.

After moving my lockon to a deeper spot where I finally found a few deer tracks, I ran a midday run then went back in to another spot for the evening. Well no deer sign there and I heard hogs fighting a few minutes b4 shooting hours ended but they never appeared.

It wasnít until that evening that I found out I looked at the wrong pamphlet and couldíve hunted where I wanted afterall. Oh well. Got in 23.9 miles in on the legs so the day was productive for finding a good deer spot, moving my lock on and getting in shape. Once again many miles in the woods and didn't see any other hunters.

Sunday I had no luck hunting the hills but only gave it a quick 90 minute sit after seeing no fresh tracks near my tree and plugging into the sd card of the camera sitting over the scrape at the bottom of the funnel I was hunting that I pulled b4 climbing up. This location was too close to an atv trail - only 125yards - but it had deer and bucks moving in daylight most days of the week and night pics nightly as well b4 the doe days when few used the atv trail. After doe day my camera showed one day on Friday morning a doe walked and zero hogs or deer since the 1st doe day a week prior and no night pics. My confidence to hunt longer quickly dwindled as these animals moved deeper.

The weather finally cooled, and I was itching to run the hills too badly to sit still. I ran to a deeper spot and saw loads of fresh sign to hunt later in the year for my warm up then got in 8 miles of quality hill running to toughen the quads.

After my run I packed the camp and went for an evening sit on cocodrie. It took me 82 grueling minutes to hike into one of my deepest spots I wanted to check out for the 1st time this year. Well after 1 mile of walking I quit seeing boot tracks and a few fresh deer tracks started to pop up in miles 2 and 3 but then at mile 4 right when I get to my location I start seeing boot tracks again from ppl coming in by boat but no more fresh deer tracks or sign, plus my nutall wasnít dropping.

I decided to hook across the unit to a new recurve spot Iím eager to hunt for the rut. Well this nutall was dropping hard and did have some deer sign but also loads of hog sign. I saw some HUGE hog tracks that got me excited as well. Finally after 2 hours and 14 minutes of walking I got set up.

The wind wasnít perfect but hearing the big striped acorns fall loudly onto the palmettos every minute or so is one sweet confidence boosting sound. After 10 minutes up the hogs starting fighting within 100 yards of me in the thick briar areas. They continued to fight for the next 90 minutes. I held tight to my plan to stick to deer hunting for a buck which reading my rereading my favorite running novel for like the 12th time to keep my attention on staying in place.

Finally the screaming and grunting stopped at 5pm and I heard another big animal moving through the palmettos from another side, but never saw what it was. Hunting with hearing enhancers in dry leaves and noisy palmettos is quite the experience.

Very fun evening and I jumped 3 packs of pigs on the 97 minute hike out in the dark. I was tired on the 3 hour drive home but left excited about my hunting spots when I hit the woods again in 2 weeks. This coming weekend we are flying to Lubbock to visit hospitals for the soon to come baby from surrogacy.

Yesterday was drained but finished my hard paced 22 mile long run on exhausted legs with a hard 4 mile goal pace push at the end with the dogs joining me. Well now time for the morning run b4 work. 32 miles to run in the next 2 days then have a speed session from the depths of **** Thursday. 20 x 1000m repeats with only 1 min rest with the typical 3 mile warmup and 3 mile cool down. Its one of the favorite workouts of the marathon world record holder Kipchoge! Of course my planned 5:45 pace is nothing to his low 4 min mile pace he does for these repeats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpgsdfsdf.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	102972   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181130_162047.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	102973   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181130_160740.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	102974   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpgsdfsdf.jpgs.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	102975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181130_181229.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	102976  

Last edited by Orion; 1 Week Ago at 09:08 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

the pigs approach and the WHITE pig that I want to get badly with my bow soon. Who cares about some ugly brown deer when they have white hogs! j/m around haha but I do want this white hide on my wall!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	102977   Click image for larger version

Name:	s.jpgsdf.jpgsdf.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	102978   Click image for larger version

Name:	s.jpgsdf.jpgsdf.jpgs.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	102979  
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thatís awesome!! I need some of that wild pork. Good stuff there.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member

Keep the great stories coming. Thanks for the entertainment
Old 1 Week Ago
Horn Stars

Congrats on another piggy..

I have this as #44 on the year for you.
Previous Post was titled "Hog death 41-43 Orion - Tusks & Heart Slicer!"

#44 with a 44 sounds pretty cool.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggoh View Post
Congrats on another piggy..

I have this as #44 on the year for you.
Previous Post was titled "Hog death 41-43 Orion - Tusks & Heart Slicer!"

#44 with a 44 sounds pretty cool.
Wow thanks.....sorry. you are correct. after typing all the details in word i often mess up the title, dates.or the #1-4 part or post in the wrong forum so thanks for double checking.
Old 1 Week Ago

Keep knocking them down. As much time as you put in, you'll be on them big brown deer and that white pig in no time. What sort of hearing enhancers do you use? Over the last 3 years or so my hearing has gone down significantly. I can not cover my ears when I wear my balaclava because I can't hardly hear anything.
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

I have 1 question....How many freezers do you have? LOL!
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

9 freezers but this year the dogs and I currently eating all the pigs as I go, every week I come home with an icechest full of meat then I defatten all the meat and cook it for the dogs and I eat the backstraps of the tasty sows myself or freeze a few quality chunks of defattened meat vacuum sealed. If the dogs don't finish off all their meat, I vacumm seal their veggy hog jamabalaya which takes up far less space than freezing a whole bunch of uncooked meat with fat attached like I used to do.

this weekend didn't hunt of course cuz we went visit our surrogates and got 14 inches of snow while in Lubbock. Everest Sterling is 5lbs @ 30weeks in the 97% percentile in size so another 9.5 weeks to go but everything looking good so I'm super excited. Ran in a circle around the parking lot and indoors and up and down the flights of stairs in the hotel on this little bit of ice that was bulldozed over like a man possessed all weekend. The hotel workers now know who the craziest hardest working runner for Louisiana is. But got in my 110 miles of running to complete the week. Thursday's 20 x 1KMs with only 1 min rest with Shasseh on Nicholls campus running back and forth a 1008m straight away really killed me but got it down @ 5:39 pace with all my 1kms from 3:26-3:37. Hardest speed workout of my life and now know why the world's fastest marathon runner does this workout as one of his main speed sessions - pure torture!

As for hearing enhancers pictures is the Howard Leight impact pro, they have the best noise reduction but the hearing enhancement is fairly weak compared to the impact sport which is louder and more comfy and lightweight but has less noise reduction. Still my favorite is the eytomic gunpro sport which has pretty good sound reduction if the right sized pieces are inserted but the sound enhancement is a true 5x and perfect quality. I use these on all my bowhunts as well. None of the walkers compare. Walkers all have horrible background noise and unclear sound in the two expensive types I tried and returned. I don't hunt without my gunpro sports unless I take in the large howard leights for a quick hunt when on an exclusive pistol hunt with their super sound canceling ability but they do get heavy and hurt my head after a while. But wrap some orange vest material on the micro gunpro sports because they can get lost and fall out easily while walking through the woods if the string catches your head then you are looking for them FOREVER but with the 2 inch piece of orange they are found easily.

Can't tell yall how many deer walked by or behind that I NEVER would've heard without hearing enhancers but its been dozens plus you don't lose your hearing from the blast, WIN WIN and several horns on are my wall that would've walked by without me ever knowing. Want to learn how to stalk quietly wear enchancers, if you make any noise with your feet its super loud and you can't hear the surroundings. Makes you walk in complete stealth. Getting used the directional sounds of enchancers takes a bit of getting used to though. 1st few times you'll be breaking your neck turning like crazy to figure out where that sound is coming from. Then you realize you are hearing a deer 80 yards away trying to sneak through that is sounding like its under your feet haha

btw the new wool garmets I ordered I wore in Lubbock....super warm the minus 33 stuff is very itchy, the cheaper stuff from that's 70% wool and 30% that I got for @ 25 for a shirt is not itchy at all and just as warm as the medium weight wool imo, the brown heavyweight wool from icebreaker isn't too itchy and can be worn with no undershirt but its still never super warm by itself and need layers for outside. Still its all warmer than my normal underarmor compression gear. I'm going to double layer the wool on some hunts and see how it works out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8882.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	102992   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_080735.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	102993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181207_111420.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	102994  

Last edited by Orion; 1 Week Ago at 04:36 PM.
Old 6 Days Ago

Thanks for the insight into the enhancers. I'll be grabbing some soon. I'm glad things are going well with the new family addition.