Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > General Outdoor Discussion

General Outdoor Discussion Archery, Shooting, Game Management, Gear, Camping, etc.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Question Seeking advice on Shallow Drive Motors

The Outboard is sick AGAIN!

I'm sure there's some outdoorsmen on here that have some experience/knowledge of Shallow Drive Type Motors; any advice would be much appreciated.

The Motors to select from are:

* Pro-Drive
* Gator Tail
* Go Devil
* Copperhead

I have a 14 Ft X 48" Alumaweld Express w/ Flotation Pods added to each side in the back.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Great thread Lyle. Iíve got a 14íx60 that Iím wondering the same about
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Executive Member
Bad Country Snipers

Canít advise you of those brands as Iíve had a stock 35 hsp mudbuddy for the last nine years or so. Mine doesnít have reverse and Iíd sure recommend getting it. Drawbacks vs out drive. Itís slower, louder and a little more work to maneuver. Basically itís a lawn mower engine with a pretty solid propulsion system. Pros. You can go just about anywhere. I mostly hunt the river basin and can launch just about anywhere. Think my boat will run pretty good until I get in about 6inches of water. If itís soft mud you can go shallower, just depends on what your running through. Logs, sticks, hydrilla just carry on. Have a few places I hunt where thereís land in between two bodies of water. You can get your speed up when the waters up and jump the dams so to speak. Iíve had no major expenses, Iíve had a few breakdowns but nothing where I couldnít hunt for the day. Water froze in throttle cable one day, battery issues from frogging too long ( I carry an extra battery and gas can), burnt a trim switch out one day. Iíve done hundreds of rescues during hurricanes, not what your looking for I know but like I said you can go anywhere. If you hit stump or log underwater it may give you a good jolt but carry on. Sorry canít help with your brand search. Good luck!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
Can’t advise you of those brands as I’ve had a stock 35 hsp mudbuddy for the last nine years or so. Mine doesn’t have reverse and I’d sure recommend getting it. Drawbacks vs out drive. It’s slower, louder and a little more work to maneuver. Basically it’s a lawn mower engine with a pretty solid propulsion system. Pros. You can go just about anywhere. I mostly hunt the river basin and can launch just about anywhere. Think my boat will run pretty good until I get in about 6inches of water. If it’s soft mud you can go shallower, just depends on what your running through. Logs, sticks, hydrilla just carry on. Have a few places I hunt where there’s land in between two bodies of water. You can get your speed up when the waters up and jump the dams so to speak. I’ve had no major expenses, I’ve had a few breakdowns but nothing where I couldn’t hunt for the day. Water froze in throttle cable one day, battery issues from frogging too long ( I carry an extra battery and gas can), burnt a trim switch out one day. I’ve done hundreds of rescues during hurricanes, not what your looking for I know but like I said you can go anywhere. If you hit stump or log underwater it may give you a good jolt but carry on. Sorry can’t help with your brand search. Good luck!
Thanks man, I appreciate the input; sounds like you’ve got a real workhorse. My mechanic had my Outboard fixed before noon on Monday, after I dropped it off that morning. He rebuilt the carburetor and it runs great! Back in the woods for the weekend, thank God.

Now I have more time to really look into the next style motor for my rig. Thanks again.

Godspeed & Good Hunting
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Executive Member
Cajun Carnivores

Lyle, when I had my long tail, I would get on Mud Motor talk. It's a discussion forum on mud motors. There should be a ton of info on there if it still exists. With that being said, I'm pretty sure there was a section devoted to not so "G Rated" content, so I wouldn't go to the site from any kind of work computer that gets monitored. Shouldn't interfere with you finding info though.
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeMieux View Post
Lyle, when I had my long tail, I would get on Mud Motor talk. It's a discussion forum on mud motors. There should be a ton of info on there if it still exists. With that being said, I'm pretty sure there was a section devoted to not so "G Rated" content, so I wouldn't go to the site from any kind of work computer that gets monitored. Shouldn't interfere with you finding info though.
Thank you, Iíll check it out.