Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old February 8th, 2019
Executive Member
Default Scouting new spots

One spot I hunt, requires me to cross a creek bottom and I hunt about 1/4 mile walking distance after crossing the creek.

This creek bottom has a lot of sandy areas where I often see deer and hog tracks. Well finally very early one morning, I hunted this creek bottom in late Jan. It was slightly foggy which hindered my vision the first hour beyond 50 - 60 yards while bow hunting. I did not see anything in 3 hours hunting.

After hunting, I starting scouting the deer tracks to see what I could find. At one spot, I found several sets of tracks going around a downed tree but lost the trail due to hard ground. I followed some tracks that went the other direction but nothing to get excited about.

75 yards past the downed tree, I found several more deer tracks heading toward the creek. As I got closer to the creek, I saw more tracks. There were 2 trails [one from where the deer went around the downed tree].

Unfortunately there is not the "perfect" tree to hunt this spot. But there are 2 trees that might work out. One tree has the 2 trails passing on either side, but only 10 yards away. This tree can only be climbed up to about 16-18 feet before there is a big limb and there are a lot of small tree limbs to make shooting hard. In Oct. leaves on these limbs may give good cover, but shooting nearly impossible.

The other tree is smaller [10 to 12 inch dia.] and only 15 yards away from the trails that had fewer tracks. This tree can only be climbed to maybe 15 feet, but has some cover. The trail would be fairly visible for 20 yards, but other directions are thick.

This spot will give me lots to think about before next season. I did not have my trail camer to see what pictures I would get in this spot.

Ideally, I like to be at least 20 feet high and about 20 yards from a trail. I did not scout the other side of the creek. Over on the other side..... there is about 25 yards of thick cover near the creek then it gets very open with only big trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	103272  
Old February 8th, 2019
Executive Member
Swamp Rogues

You can either get a loc on or maybe hunt from the ground
Old February 8th, 2019
Chairman

Loc-Ons allow you to ignore the limbs. I've even used them as steps back in the screw-in step days. Limbs are actually a good thing when it comes to cover.
Old February 8th, 2019
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

If possible I would go back asap and scout the other side of the creek. While there you can actually scout the whole area without worrying about spooking anything and possibly find a tree that has some cover and good for the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 8th, 2019

Climb up to 17' in the one tree.... Trim it and your shooting lanes now

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2019
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Bandit View Post
Climb up to 17' in the one tree.... Trim it and your shooting lanes now

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I plan to go back next month while Turkey scouting and assess this area some more. I scouted farther down the creek for an hour, but did not find another hot spot like this one.

I forgot to say that it had rained the day before..... so these track were probably less than 24 hour old.
Old February 8th, 2019
Executive Member

8upbowhunter

Talking about wind.... On several hunts in this area, the wind was not consistent. The wind would change direction every few minutes. I have never seen wind direction change this much and this often.

One minute the wind would be out of the north and a few minutes later it would come from the east. Sometimes the wind changed to come from the west or SW. All this happened with a 3 to 5 mph wind and sometimes gusted up to 10 mph for a while..... this went on for 4+ hours.

Even on one day while the winds blew 10 to 15 mph, the direction change 180 degrees every 30 minutes.

I had a Buck come by chasing a doe and got busted by the Doe when they got down wind. I was 35 feet up in a pine tree and the deer passed 25 yards from me. If I would have had 3 seconds more time, I could have killed the nice 8 point.
Old February 9th, 2019
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

That sounds like a spot I used to hunt at Tunica Hills WMA. It was a creek crossing with only 1 good tree to climb about 3/4 down the ridge. I also had to hunt it from 30ft up or so and got busted a few times due to the swirling winds but not every time. It was my go to spot in the rut and when my other spots went cold but it paid off several times. The wind rarely blew from the direction it was forecasted and swirled constantly but it was such a reliable spot I took my chances.
Old February 9th, 2019

Hunt from the ground. My last two years of public land hunting has been from the ground. Doubles the excitement level.
Old February 9th, 2019
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhorn View Post
Hunt from the ground. My last two years of public land hunting has been from the ground. Doubles the excitement level.
I agree.

I killed my biggest Buck [a 10 pt] from the ground but this was while scouting... not actually hunting a ground spot.