Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting The Most Challenging Game

Old 1 Week Ago
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent
Default 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvestris View Post
So much for setting the season back two weeks.
Since I killed my first turkey in 1980 (March 20, 1980), I have killed the lion's share of my gobblers the last week of March. Most of those seasons, I had either killed my 3 or 2, depending on the limit, before April 1st. I will admit that I was an advocate of moving the season back, but I sure paid the price this year. I hate to be negative, but I'm losing interest around here.

I did see a lot of jakes this year, but I don't know if that is an indication that moving the season back helped with the poult production or if Cedotal just got lucky. He isn't sure yet, either. I do know that the hen/poult surveys from last year did not accurately capture how good the hatch was here last year. I can't imagine that we will have a good hatch this year with all this weather we have had.
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Spurs View Post
Well, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, or Maker's Mark. But, I generally put some Wild Turkey in the bin on trips so that we can always say we killed one wild turkey.
I was sippin on the Buffalo.
Old 1 Week Ago
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent
Default Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
I was sippin on the Buffalo.

I don't know how it gets much better than that, especially for the price.
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Spurs View Post
I don't know how it gets much better than that, especially for the price.
Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3 Days Ago
Arrow

Iím still not sure if the season being moved will help. Iíve read a lot about it and it sounds reasonable in theory. And I think we all agree late March was the best time to kill. For those of us that have been at it awhile we just have to adjust our tactics. One thing for sure the late opener guarantees mostly henned up and quiet Gobblers which should thin the part timers out which will benefit us all.
We also have a recruitment problem that moveing the season will not help. Bad nesting weather is out of our hands.
Without stupid arguments and part timer opinions: who among us would be willing to get a group together that can contact the LWFD and see what it will take to get some more birds bought and moved here from another state. Obviously #1 is money. And La has a major problem with money..... not getting it but putting it were it belongs. The LDWF will not do anything on there own. What would it take to get them to double the price of the tags to 10$ use the extra 5$ ONLY for buying and locating birds to La. Iím not talking about catching 5 hens from someoneís deer lease and dropping them off at red Dirt, Iím talking about doing it like someone with sense, like Mississippi or Alabama when they started reintroduction. If they picked a WMA with decent habitat and saturated it with turkeys from a another state allowed no hunting for 3 years and got some volunteers to trap predators on that wma, thereís no way it wouldnít help. If continued the turkeys would make a comeback. We donít need a couple right of ways planted in rye grass or some other waste of time . What we need is to off set the losses with turkeys until they can get a foot hold. It may sound like a lot of work but think about what Turkey hunters had to do in the 1950ís to get it going. Most hunters would be out only an extra 5$ and maybe having to stop hunting a certain WMA for a couple years. If you donít care enough about turkeys to spend 5$ then your worthless anyway. We have tiny pockets of turkeys spread across large areas.
East Texas if you havenít been watching m, is about out of turkeys they have closed several countyís and reduced the season. Recently with the NWTF and Texas have started another release program, new birds from other dates not trap and transfer. Watch and see what happens. There will be a population explosion in a few years. What happens, right now thereís only so many predators per area, only enough resources etc. when they saturate and area with turkeys that hasnít had them for awhile it takes time for the predators to catch up to the turkeys. In other words the turkeys recruitment will overcome the predation for awhile. Eventually yes the predators will populate more using the now more abundant resource( the turkeys) but all that takes time and with predator control it can be kept in check. Iím not a biologist or claim to be one but all this is common knowledge in books. For some reason La doesnít understand or care. This ainít some fairy tale itís the same plan Mississippi used in the 1950ís and what Texas is doing now. You canít transfer 3 hens and expect results if you read up on La turkey reintroduction program it was and is a joke. We need someone at the LWFD that can operate a phone or can read to look close at what Mississippi/Alabama did and do that. I keep hearing habitat, have these genius ever drove the few hours to Mississippi. It looks exactly like a lot of La and they have roughly 5 times more turkeys than we do per the NWTF estimates that means were you hear 1 Gobbler in La a similar area in Mississippi will have 5.
How many on this forum would be willing to try and see what we have to do to get something going. Maybe someone on here has connections with the LWFD or know someone that does. As individuals we can do almost nothing but as a group maybe we can help. I donít think the average hunter in La cares enough to make any noise about this situation but maybe we can get them going. Anybody that has any ideas or would like to try and get this started PM me or use this thread. Surely something can be done other than complaining and hoping
Sponsored Links
Old 3 Days Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillipshunt View Post
Iím still not sure if the season being moved will help. Iíve read a lot about it and it sounds reasonable in theory. And I think we all agree late March was the best time to kill. For those of us that have been at it awhile we just have to adjust our tactics. One thing for sure the late opener guarantees mostly henned up and quiet Gobblers which should thin the part timers out which will benefit us all.
We also have a recruitment problem that moveing the season will not help. Bad nesting weather is out of our hands.
Without stupid arguments and part timer opinions: who among us would be willing to get a group together that can contact the LWFD and see what it will take to get some more birds bought and moved here from another state. Obviously #1 is money. And La has a major problem with money..... not getting it but putting it were it belongs. The LDWF will not do anything on there own. What would it take to get them to double the price of the tags to 10$ use the extra 5$ ONLY for buying and locating birds to La. Iím not talking about catching 5 hens from someoneís deer lease and dropping them off at red Dirt, Iím talking about doing it like someone with sense, like Mississippi or Alabama when they started reintroduction. If they picked a WMA with decent habitat and saturated it with turkeys from a another state allowed no hunting for 3 years and got some volunteers to trap predators on that wma, thereís no way it wouldnít help. If continued the turkeys would make a comeback. We donít need a couple right of ways planted in rye grass or some other waste of time . What we need is to off set the losses with turkeys until they can get a foot hold. It may sound like a lot of work but think about what Turkey hunters had to do in the 1950ís to get it going. Most hunters would be out only an extra 5$ and maybe having to stop hunting a certain WMA for a couple years. If you donít care enough about turkeys to spend 5$ then your worthless anyway. We have tiny pockets of turkeys spread across large areas.
East Texas if you havenít been watching m, is about out of turkeys they have closed several countyís and reduced the season. Recently with the NWTF and Texas have started another release program, new birds from other dates not trap and transfer. Watch and see what happens. There will be a population explosion in a few years. What happens, right now thereís only so many predators per area, only enough resources etc. when they saturate and area with turkeys that hasnít had them for awhile it takes time for the predators to catch up to the turkeys. In other words the turkeys recruitment will overcome the predation for awhile. Eventually yes the predators will populate more using the now more abundant resource( the turkeys) but all that takes time and with predator control it can be kept in check. Iím not a biologist or claim to be one but all this is common knowledge in books. For some reason La doesnít understand or care. This ainít some fairy tale itís the same plan Mississippi used in the 1950ís and what Texas is doing now. You canít transfer 3 hens and expect results if you read up on La turkey reintroduction program it was and is a joke. We need someone at the LWFD that can operate a phone or can read to look close at what Mississippi/Alabama did and do that. I keep hearing habitat, have these genius ever drove the few hours to Mississippi. It looks exactly like a lot of La and they have roughly 5 times more turkeys than we do per the NWTF estimates that means were you hear 1 Gobbler in La a similar area in Mississippi will have 5.
How many on this forum would be willing to try and see what we have to do to get something going. Maybe someone on here has connections with the LWFD or know someone that does. As individuals we can do almost nothing but as a group maybe we can help. I donít think the average hunter in La cares enough to make any noise about this situation but maybe we can get them going. Anybody that has any ideas or would like to try and get this started PM me or use this thread. Surely something can be done other than complaining and hoping
I'd be willing to give it a shot. Speaking of the NWTF, they have a chapter here in SW Louisiana. I am wondering what they do with the money they raise? I'm asking this because I'm truly ignorant not because I am trying to stir the pot.
Old 3 Days Ago

Only thing Iíve seen the NWTF do is plant grass in some right of ways Iím sure they do other things but we donít need food plots we need turkeys. I Been trying to email some people at the LWFD but Iím not getting a lot of answers. The way the NWTF operates now I donít think they would be much help. If the money could be raised I donít see why the birds couldnít be purchased, Texas is doing it. If doubling the tags to 10$ is possible without someone stealing it I donít see why it couldnít work. We donít need food plots, or studies on nesting behavior or gobbling surveys. Thereís been enough studies done in several states. Iím sure it boils down to the ones that would make the discison to transfer the birds either donít hunt turkeys and assume thereís plenty or they hunt locked down private land that still holds enough for them.
One of the worst things that has happened to the Wild Turkey in La when they flooded Sherburne I understand they open the spillway to save human habitations which should come first. But no effort has been made to rectify the losses of turkeys in particular. The small amount that survived canít keep up with predators and overcome bad nesting years. Itís all about the numbers I donít care how many coons or hogs are in La. If you have enough turkeys they will offset the losses. Other states have predators and they have plenty of birds. La has never had the numbers it could have the LDWF did just enough to say they made an effort.
Old 2 Days Ago

Didnít get a chance to turkey hunt public land this season but hunted my farm from opener to very last day. Had some close calls but wasnít able to seal the deal. Learned a lot though.. Iím in an area in West Feliciana with a good turkey population but one thing Iíve found is the poults born this past summer are predominately hens. I run cameras year round and feeders in certain areas to monitor deer and turkey populations. What Iíve found is NO jakes. All toms in the area are 4 yrs old and minimum length beard Iíve seen is 8Ē. Iím just curious why Iím not seeing jakes.

As far as east Texas & Mississippi goes, I applaud them for their conservation efforts. Iím curious to know how they got the funding approved since 90% of Texas is private owned land. Very little public land. But not surprising since they actually utilize the tax money unlike the scum officials of this state. As far as the predator deal, east Texas is over run with predators. My family had a farm outside of Tyler for years and the thing to remember is thatís a lot of cattle country with a lot of coyote issues and add a major hog issue; curious to see how their restocking efforts go.

I read an article this year stating 2018 Louisiana turkey population is estimated at 50,000 to 60,000 birds... the extremely sad part about that was thatís the amount of turkey killed in Mississippi last season!!!

Iím a major law abiding outdoorsman but I wish for one season ever hunter would say screw you LDWF and no one purchase licenses. The amount of money the department would loose would hopefully be a wake up call to stop playing magic tricks with our tax dollars and actually utilize them! I mean that in a way of wanting to see our taxís and license sales be used to actually focus on strengthening our states heard and flock populations. Also this state needs to go to an antler restriction like Texas and Mississippi. I know thatís not the end all be all of management but it would allow maturity
Old 2 Days Ago

The biggest problem may just be genetics. Years ago a gobbler could mate a flock of hens today and be five miles tomorrow tending a different flock. Before clearcutting and short term pine rotations land locked the remaining good to adequate habitat, which has made it impossible for a gobbler to spread his genes. Perhaps we have too much inbreeding.

I would accept a program trapping only hens and transplanting them to areas having population problems despite adequate habitat.
Old 2 Days Ago
Board of Directors

Of course its habitat destruction and un natural modification.
To a lesser extent, no incentive to trap. Trapping used to control the egg eaters. Hogs eating eggs. Its over. Glad i hunted the hey days. Too many TV hunters now. In 1986, turkey hunting was not ď trending ď. Just the small group of local rural boys hunting.