ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Old 1 Week Ago
Default Camping

Wanting to take my boys this year. Can anyone tell me what it is like? As far as trails to ride or hike? Is the area hilly with draws or is it real thick and hard to get through
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampstalker1 View Post
Wanting to take my boys this year. Can anyone tell me what it is like? As far as trails to ride or hike? Is the area hilly with draws or is it real thick and hard to get through
I will try to answer your questions.

Camping: There is one campground [about 4 acres] located just off of Hwy 464 on the NE part of the property. There are 2 port a potties. Nothing else. Usually the grass is cut sometime in Oct.

On the either sex weekends, the campground is fairly full and lots of loud generators running. Other times there are not that many using the campground.

Property: The southern 1/3 of the property is mostly flat with some drop off along a creek. The rest of the property is a little hilly with some places having 20 to 50 foot drops going down to creek bottoms.

The property is owned by a timber company to grow pine trees. Each year some areas are clear cut and then replanted the next year. When the pine trees get to about 20+ feet tall, they cut rows in that area to thin them out.

There are good roads [almost too many] to access the property but no improved TRAILS shown on the maps. There are NO ATV trails on the property. In some areas vehicle access is not allowed on old roads that were used when cutting timber.... so there are a few trails for easy walking into some areas or you could ride a bike down the "trail" which usually are 1/4 to 1/2 mile long.

Thickness: Some areas are really thick, while some areas offer easier access for walking/ hiking. You would just have to drive around and scout areas that look "ok" to hike for your boys. You could always park on the side of a side road and walk down the road.

Read the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries booklet about regulations and permits for using a WMA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	103413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	103414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campground 10-31-09.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	103415  

Last edited by gerald; 6 Days Ago at 03:18 PM.
Old 6 Days Ago
Executive Member

Another thought...…

If you are planning a camping and outdoor hiking outing, be sure to check the dates of gun hunting so you are not out hiking while a person is hunting with a rifle. I am not saying you can't go at that time, but IMO..... why worry about waking in the woods when you know someone could be pointing a loaded rifle at you or your children, thinking a deer coming.

At the very least..... everyone should wear a hunter orange hat and vest.

Now, if you are thinking of taking them hunting..... on Oct. 19 & 20 Clear Creek is ONLY open to Youth deer hunters. This is a good opportunity for a child to experience a deer hunt.

Also there are many pipelines on the property that would make for easy hiking.