Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > General Outdoor Discussion

General Outdoor Discussion Archery, Shooting, Game Management, Gear, Camping, etc.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
Lol so you typed all dis for nuttin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
No. It bought me time.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Board of Directors

I have 2 vacmaster vp320's in my deer processing facility and have been pleased with them. I wish I had gone with a bigger model for the amount I do but for the home user you could get by with a smaller model. If you dont damage the bag or puncture it while its in the freezer you can get at least a 1.5 years out of the meat.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
I have 2 vacmaster vp320's in my deer processing facility and have been pleased with them. I wish I had gone with a bigger model for the amount I do but for the home user you could get by with a smaller model. If you dont damage the bag or puncture it while its in the freezer you can get at least a 1.5 years out of the meat.
Just my opinion...… how long the meat will keep in the freezer depends on many factors, before the meat is ready to be sealed and put in the freezer.

The quality of the freezer bag or the vacuum sealer is secondary to how the meat is handled after the kill shot. To properly take care of meat it must be cooled as soon as possible. Field dressing should be done as soon as possible.... in the woods, not an hour or two later when you get back to the camp, to have the best quality meat when it is cooked.

The meat, then must be cut up and covered with enough ice to adequately cool the meat. If the ice melts in an hour.... you needed more ice .... soon.

Another important factor is the outside temperature the day of the kill. If the temperature is below 50 deg F. This is better for your meat and the time for getting the meat on ice is not as critical as when it is above 70 F. On "hot" days..... IMO.... the meat should be iced down in less than 2 hours to have the best chance to keep the meat longer in the freezer.

Another thing that will effect the quality of the meat is keeping the meat clean as best possible. A gut shot deer will be "nasty" inside while field dressing. If at all possible, this deer needs to be washed out using a hose or each piece of meat should be washed off as best possible before putting it in the ice chest. More washing off is usually needed back at he camp or at home.

Now, back to the vacuum sealing process. I have had a V2240 Foodsaver for about 10 years. It has done well for me with a couple of short comings. The black oval shaped rubber gasket does not always make a good seal and needs to be "wetted" with water before using. I take a wet sponge or paper towel and wipe down the top and bottom rubber gasket to get a better seal while the Foodsaver pulls the vacuum on the bag. This wetting process may require repeating if the machine stops pulling a good vacuum.

I think back when this gasket started to "fail" I bought new gaskets. But the problem started again after a couple of years. I now either soaked the gaskets in water for 5 minutes or just wet them to get a good seal.

If the seals start to dry out... the bags might not get a good vacuum to properly protect the meat while stored in the freezer. This failure to get a good vacuum [ie. remove all the air] on the bag of meat is IMO the a major factor in why some bags may get a little freezer burn on the meat after only a few months in the freezer.

A second short coming...… is the heat sealer on the machine. I use mostly rolls of plastic, which requires sealing the end of the plastic and then cutting the bag to proper length. If I do this for a bunch of bags to get ready for putting meat in them, the heat strip sometimes over heats and will not work for a few minutes. I use this time to label the bags or do other needing things, so it really does not slow down the process.

Buying the bags..... you don't need the high priced Foodsaver bags. The cheaper "off" brand bags work just as good. I usually purchase bags from Amazon, but Duckologist posted information above on a source that maybe even cheaper. I mostly use the 8 inch wide rolls, but I also have some 11 inch wide rolls for when need a larger bag.

How long can you keep meat in a freezer? IMO.... if everything is done to get the meat cool and stored properly, the meat will keep over 2 years in a freezer that is kept set on 5 degrees F or less.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald View Post
Just my opinion...… how long the meat will keep in the freezer depends on many factors, before the meat is ready to be sealed and put in the freezer.

The quality of the freezer bag or the vacuum sealer is secondary to how the meat is handled after the kill shot. To properly take care of meat it must be cooled as soon as possible. Field dressing should be done as soon as possible.... in the woods, not an hour or two later when you get back to the camp, to have the best quality meat when it is cooked.

The meat, then must be cut up and covered with enough ice to adequately cool the meat. If the ice melts in an hour.... you needed more ice .... soon.

Another important factor is the outside temperature the day of the kill. If the temperature is below 50 deg F. This is better for your meat and the time for getting the meat on ice is not as critical as when it is above 70 F. On "hot" days..... IMO.... the meat should be iced down in less than 2 hours to have the best chance to keep the meat longer in the freezer.

Another thing that will effect the quality of the meat is keeping the meat clean as best possible. A gut shot deer will be "nasty" inside while field dressing. If at all possible, this deer needs to be washed out using a hose or each piece of meat should be washed off as best possible before putting it in the ice chest. More washing off is usually needed back at he camp or at home.

Now, back to the vacuum sealing process. I have had a V2240 Foodsaver for about 10 years. It has done well for me with a couple of short comings. The black oval shaped rubber gasket does not always make a good seal and needs to be "wetted" with water before using. I take a wet sponge or paper towel and wipe down the top and bottom rubber gasket to get a better seal while the Foodsaver pulls the vacuum on the bag. This wetting process may require repeating if the machine stops pulling a good vacuum.

I think back when this gasket started to "fail" I bought new gaskets. But the problem started again after a couple of years. I now either soaked the gaskets in water for 5 minutes or just wet them to get a good seal.

If the seals start to dry out... the bags might not get a good vacuum to properly protect the meat while stored in the freezer. This failure to get a good vacuum [ie. remove all the air] on the bag of meat is IMO the a major factor in why some bags may get a little freezer burn on the meat after only a few months in the freezer.

A second short coming...… is the heat sealer on the machine. I use mostly rolls of plastic, which requires sealing the end of the plastic and then cutting the bag to proper length. If I do this for a bunch of bags to get ready for putting meat in them, the heat strip sometimes over heats and will not work for a few minutes. I use this time to label the bags or do other needing things, so it really does not slow down the process.

Buying the bags..... you don't need the high priced Foodsaver bags. The cheaper "off" brand bags work just as good. I usually purchase bags from Amazon, but Duckologist posted information above on a source that maybe even cheaper. I mostly use the 8 inch wide rolls, but I also have some 11 inch wide rolls for when need a larger bag.

How long can you keep meat in a freezer? IMO.... if everything is done to get the meat cool and stored properly, the meat will keep over 2 years in a freezer that is kept set on 5 degrees F or less.
A tip on those sealers to save ur gaskets is do not store the unit with it fully closed where the gaskets are touching and staying somewhat compressed. Open the unit, then lock it like u would if u were going to seal something. Then let the lid down. This will keep the lid slightly open and the gaskets not compressing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Executive Member

Good suggestion.

After cleaning mine, I leave it open for a few hours to allow it to completely dry. I also place a piece of paper towel over the gasket to keep the two surfaces from touching. I don't know it this really does anything to make the gasket work better.
Sponsored Links