Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old July 16th, 2017
Dark Horsemen
Default deer cameras

i have a few cuddy backs and higher end moultries but i was looking to get about 8-10 cams to set up in different areas to better pattern bucks! what cheapcameras do u guys recommend?
Old July 16th, 2017
Horn Stars

I just picked up a Primos Proof 02 on clearance from Walmart for $59. Haven't used it yet but it has very good reviews on trigger speed and easy setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 16th, 2017
Default deer cameras

Moultrie makes great cameras for under $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 17th, 2017

For the guys that run "cheap" cameras, do they all have a visible flash? All the ones I see that are cheaper all have a visible flash. Are you guys worried that the flash spooks the deer or provides a negative experience for the deer potentially keeping them away from your spot?

I've seen it first hand and I don't use any cameras with a visible flash. What's your opinions?
Old July 17th, 2017
Executive Member

I've had good luck with stealth cams. They have some reasonably priced cams with infra red flash. Knock on wood mine have performed flawlessly thus for.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2017
Horn Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerdan View Post
For the guys that run "cheap" cameras, do they all have a visible flash? All the ones I see that are cheaper all have a visible flash. Are you guys worried that the flash spooks the deer or provides a negative experience for the deer potentially keeping them away from your spot?

I've seen it first hand and I don't use any cameras with a visible flash. What's your opinions?
Strobe Flash
PRO - Color Photos
CON - Visible white light Flash

IR Flash
PRO - No visible flash unless you look directly at the camera
CON - Black and white photos

Blackout
PRO - NO Visible Flash at all
CON - Black and white photos

All of my cameras have the IR Flash... I think you are correct in that the blackout cameras are a little more costly.
Old July 17th, 2017

Something else you need to look at is how long the batteries last. I use Bushnell Trophy Cams and the batteries last all season. They aren't real cheap, but not as high as some. If you have to replace the batteries every 2 weeks, you won't come out ahead.
Old July 17th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerdan View Post

I have had different experiences on the subject.....I have never seen a deer react negatively to the flash of a camera, though I'm sure it's quite possible. I have however seen deer react negatively to the camera itself though. From my experiences if you don't have the camera hidden well when free standing (mounted on a pole or stick, not to a tree) I have actually seen deer alter their trail to go around or away from the camera itself. I am more of a fan of low glow IR cameras because to me the picture quality at night is far superior to blackouts. To me if a deer were to respond negatively to a camera going off, it would have to be one that was noisy or was indeed a white flash camera, no way in my opinion would they notice a low glow IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 18th, 2017
Executive Member

I have been running numerous cams for many years, and have come to the conclusion that deer are a like people in that they react differently to situations. My first cameras were homebrews with white flash. I found that the flash didn't bother them very much at all. Especially if it is mounted high. IMO, they may associate it with lightning which they see all the time. Several years ago I killed a 150+" 10 pt who was a camera hog. I had 100's of pics of him all over the lease. I think he walked around the woods looking for a camera to pose in front of. I never got just one pic, but several in different positions. He was the exception though. Most mature bucks shy away from the cameras once they spot them. Another concern, and perhaps the most important one, is that we have a tendency to want to check them too soon. The more you go to check them, the more scent you leave and the deer pattern you. Here is a video of a mature buck I got during the daylight at a mineral lick. Never got his pick again at this location, day or night. I did get a night video of him at another location. But as soon as he saw the infrared lights he took off like he was shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1oxOFu51Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEhmok4RCo