LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Louisiana's Fastest Growing Hunting Sport

Old January 12th, 2018
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAcresRanch View Post
Your lack of concern for non target species is noted, but it’s not legal, is it? Can you poison furbearing animals? No. Whats your acceptable non target species number? What about rabbits. Squirrels. Birds. This is a pelleted bait that they will all eat. How will the state justify this when some group hits them with a lawsuit? Will they say “well, it can kill all the coons it wants. No lose there”?
And I’d like to see your links to the discussions in ark. About poisoning hogs. The last discussion I sat in was in newton county. The poison discussed was kaput, because it was the one the EPA and FDA approved. SN wasn’t approved for use. There wasn’t a single hog dogger in the room. And it was overwhelmingly against poisoning hogs, particularly since the WMAs refused to open areas for gun hunting hogs.
Ultimately, it may be the price we have to pay to get rid of the hogs. I haven't seen any studies that show what animals eat what bait or poison. The complaints I've seen about poison in Ark have been discussed on dog hunting sites. I'm not searching right now but if you are interested, search on Masterfox.net and Louisiana Sportsman's Alliance. It was on one of those two sites. As far as the meeting you went to, unless they took role and revealed themselves as dog hunters, how do you know there weren't any in the room? Maybe nobody spoke up but believe me, they are against it. They are against it here in LA too.
Old January 12th, 2018
Chairman

Let's do a "what if" scenario......What if, someone came up with a method to get rid of 100% of the feral hogs in LA. However, in doing so, you would lose 25% of the state's deer herd, 25% of the turkeys, 50% of the coons, 50% of the coyotes, 10% of the rabbits, and 10% of the bears....Would the state pull the trigger? Would hunters be in favor?
Old January 12th, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Let's do a "what if" scenario......What if, someone came up with a method to get rid of 100% of the feral hogs in LA. However, in doing so, you would lose 25% of the state's deer herd, 25% of the turkeys, 50% of the coons, 50% of the coyotes, 10% of the rabbits, and 10% of the bears....Would the state pull the trigger? Would hunters be in favor?
No way would hunters be in favor, even if it was for the best. Just look at the responses here. People aren't in favor of getting rid of hogs. They like the idea of it, but only the idea. When you put methods to it that have some less than ideal side effects, they balk at the idea.

It's no different than those surveys about feelings on hunting. The majority have no problem with hunting, until you start getting specific. Then the numbers steadily decrease. People like the idea, but not the specifics.

I think it would be great. If you could eradicate hoga permanently, all you would need to do is adjust seasons and limits for a few years, and the deer and turkeys would bounce back, especially with raccoon and coyote populations knocked back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old January 12th, 2018

Quote:
Ultimately, it may be the price we have to pay to get rid of the hogs. I haven't seen any studies that show what animals eat what bait or poison. The complaints I've seen about poison in Ark have been discussed on dog hunting sites. I'm not searching right now but if you are interested, search on Masterfox.net and Louisiana Sportsman's Alliance. It was on one of those two sites. As far as the meeting you went to, unless they took role and revealed themselves as dog hunters, how do you know there weren't any in the room? Maybe nobody spoke up but believe me, they are against it. They are against it here in LA too.

I have no doubt hog doggers are against poisoning hogs. I didn’t say they weren’t. You claim only doggers are against it and mentioned Arkansas. I was present at a local meeting of deer hunters in a discussion of using poison, namely kaput, in northern Arkansas. There was no “room”. It was a cook out of hunters from several leases to discuss it. The local vet was their, explaining how the poison works to kill hogs, and what the possible adverse effect could be. There were no doggers present, because there are no doggers in this area. Out of the 20+ around the Pitt and fire, not one supported using poison. And I know they were not doggers because I ASKED them. Still hunters only. I’m sure if you are getting your numbers of people against it from dog hunting sites, there will be an overwhelming number opposed to it. That’s not a surprise.
Old January 12th, 2018

Quote:

If you think the majority of hunters in LA would accept those numbers as “ok”, I think you are misleading yourself. No one in the WLF would be stupid enough to say they would, either.
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2018
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
No way would hunters be in favor, even if it was for the best. Just look at the responses here. People aren't in favor of getting rid of hogs. They like the idea of it, but only the idea. When you put methods to it that have some less than ideal side effects, they balk at the idea.

It's no different than those surveys about feelings on hunting. The majority have no problem with hunting, until you start getting specific. Then the numbers steadily decrease. People like the idea, but not the specifics.

I think it would be great. If you could eradicate hoga permanently, all you would need to do is adjust seasons and limits for a few years, and the deer and turkeys would bounce back, especially with raccoon and coyote populations knocked back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Personally, I would "push the button." Get rid of them!
Old January 12th, 2018
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAcresRanch View Post
If you think the majority of hunters in LA would accept those numbers as “ok”, I think you are misleading yourself. No one in the WLF would be stupid enough to say they would, either.
Then people need to prepare to reap the whirlwind. It's going to get worse.
Old January 12th, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Personally, I would "push the button." Get rid of them!
Me too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old January 12th, 2018
Board of Directors

I shot 3 of them close range with a 22 magnum revolver.
They all ran off. I'm sure they died.
Old January 12th, 2018

Quote:
Then people need to prepare to reap the whirlwind. It's going to get worse.

Dramatic license aside, I’m sure we will deal with it one way or another.