Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality View Post
The correct amount have to be harvested off property. 1:1 buck to doe ratio for your carrying capacity is the starting place for any management plan. There is an indirect relationship with ratio and quality. If the ratio is off stress will be added to the population causing decrease in quality. There is a direct relationship with habitat. Increase in quality habitat (more food etc.) there will be an increase in quality. Tons of further detail to read up on and study if that's the route you choose, it's never ending when it comes to possible improvements.

If our biologist are slacking I can't speak for it, never had one step foot on our property. We are DIY success story. When I grew up it was nothing to see 20 does a hunt with a few scroungy bucks. When I started the push for better quality is was met with resilience. The amount of does we were harvesting made every baby boomer in area squeamish. After a few years of ratio correcting and habitat improving. Followed by years and years of multiple 160 plus inch deer meeting age structure criteria. The results were either met with joy or silence. Don't let your dream be deteriorated with negativity and ignorance. Research the information needed to obtain your goal soon as you start learning you will also learn which advice to listen for and what to tune out. Good luck man hope y'all find the answer.

P.S. Cameras are your friend have to run them correctly to learn your true population. Sorry If was repetitive.
Hey man, what area of the state are you in? We've been hunting area 4 for almost 20 years and our populations seemed to have plummeted and it's not from us shooting a whole lot of does. Yal seemed to have found a sweet spot for yals place. Awesome job
Old 1 Week Ago

Area 1. I also hunt area 4 some. Know of a lease in area 4 has success from implementing similar tactics. They can annually produce 150 plus inch deer by letting the correct deer reach the correct age. Their habitat can't hold as much deer as the land I mainly hunt in area 1, but they keep their numbers in check. You have to know what your property can hold. My friend in area 4 may go 4-7 hunts without seeing a deer bc he has to keep his numbers down in order to produce quality deer. He could do some habitat improvements to hold higher numbers but he is happy with the results keeping the correct population on his natural habitat. His genetics are way better than the area 1 property he is just missing the great habitat. If he were to balance his place with great forage it would smoke mine in area 1.

I try to run a cam every 50-100 acres in high feeding areas to get a true number count. One thing is certain if you are going multiple hunts without seeing a buck and seeing 5-6 does a hunt your ratio is off. The more does your seeing for not seeing bucks the more it's likely off. That's the biggest enemy to management. If quality is what your after then you need to figure out what your target age is for your bucks. Many people automatically assume a deer drops off at 7 but I have had some bucks have their best years at 7 or 8. Multiple factors play roles in that. You won't know your full potential without all the pieces in place.
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors

Well, i think we got the OP away from Dmap.
Old 1 Week Ago

Go DMAP if you need to kill more does per member than the state allows.
Old 1 Week Ago

I used to take care of the DMAP for a club I was in years ago. They do age the jaws of the deer you turn in and sending you a report showing how your data compares to other clubs in your area. The biggest pain is getting the members to record the information and pull the jaw. One of the reasons I stopped hunting there members just wanted doe tags and didn't care about the rest of it.The places I hunt now we keep records so we can see how the deer compare year to year and if we need to make adjustments on what we harvest. I also made a jaw collection so we age our own deer. A biologist will come out for free in Louisiana and Mississippi to look at your property to make recommendations which we found helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180122_161917.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	102145  
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors

I would be more inclined to go to LSU and find a Wildlife Mgn't student in his or her junior year, and see what they can do for you. Take him or her out there . They might even do a paper for a class using your land.

Reason being, students are likely to be more in touch with today's happenings, AND they are not governed by department policy. On Monday mornings, they are not told at a meeting on Quail Drive to " just do this" for your dmap assignments, don't tell clubs " this, this and this. "

That's what I would do, coupled with self-teaching by intense studying of QDMA techniques.
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors

No DMAP for us. We kill enough does we think is necessary and pretty sure our balance is good enough. Thanks for the replies.
Old 1 Week Ago

Regarding DMAP. Piles of doe tags are not given out after stepping out of the truck for two seconds and nonody comes fill your tags if you don't meet harvest objectives. If things were done that way 27 years ago I can not speak to that. Landowner or lessee involvement is the first ingredient to success.

The biggest take away is to begin collecting quality age based harvest data on the respective property. Many things can be learned from this simple task. Getting an assesment of your habitat conditions, learning the prefered browse species available, paying attention to hunter observation data, and implementing habitat improvement projects to the extent allowed by the landowner will all maximize the potential of the property. DMAP or non-DMAP, site visits on private lands are free of charge through the LDWF Private Lands Program. Contact your regional office to schedule a site visit this spring. A good visit would include sharing your goals and objectives for the property, mentioning what equipment and landowner permissions you have for manipulating habitat, a browse survey with transects spread across each habitat and variations in timber stand density, reviewing past harvest data, and a timber stand evaluation. From there you can plan for the future, ask about any potential cost share programs available for prescribed burning or habitat mgmt, request a free habitat management plan listing the specifics discussed during the visit, and or carry on with things the way they were before. I've never been to a Monday morning meeting saying do this, this, and that.
Old 1 Week Ago
Board of Directors

The end result is Always a pile of doe tags.
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
The end result is Always a pile of doe tags.
That does not mean the lease prez/manager has to give the hunters the whole pile.