LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Louisiana's Fastest Growing Hunting Sport

Old February 11th, 2018
Executive Member
Whitetail Exterminators
Default Kel-Tec CMR-30, 22 Mag

Iíve been shopping for a light 22mag for hogs. I looked at the CZ and magnum Research weapons but when I went to the gun show in Lafayette I stumbled across the CMR-30. I must say I really like this little gun. It weighs 4.5 lbs with the scope and when the stock is closed itís only 22Ē long. I shot it today and Iím pleased. At 40yds the 3 shot group could be covered with a dime. At 70yds the group was 1.2 with 3 shots. I had to shoot several types of ammo before I figured out what it liked and ended up with 40 grain CCI maxi max and the 50 grain Remington jacketed hollow points. The 50 grain were only 1.6 ď low at 70yds but the group was good. I put 200 rounds through it and didnít have any issues. I will say the 30 round mag is a little different to load because the bullets are double stacked but after a couple of reloads she shot great. I could spit out 30 rounds with no prob. Hereís a couple of pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 11th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

great post. I looked at those a while back and they seem very light and great for hogs. Good luck killing some with it.
Old February 11th, 2018
Board of Directors
Apostles of Ardennes

NICE. Thatís gonna be a great Hog Gun.

OIIIIIIIO
Old February 12th, 2018
Chairman

I own the PMR-30 which is the 30 round pistol. Talk about light.
Old February 12th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
I own the PMR-30 which is the 30 round pistol. Talk about light.
How old is it, any problems???? I've got one on the way, should be here this week........

My research found the first 2 models had problems feeding/jamming. supposedly all fixed now with the later models.....
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2018
Executive Member
Whitetail Exterminators

It has been working just fine. Itís new only had it a couple of weeks. So far Iím pleased. You just to remember itís still a rim fire and rim fire ammo isnít as consistent as center fire ammo.

Old February 16th, 2018
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest1 View Post
How old is it, any problems???? I've got one on the way, should be here this week........

My research found the first 2 models had problems feeding/jamming. supposedly all fixed now with the later models.....
Couple years old but I've only shot it once and just ran a couple clips through it. At the time 22mag bullets were super hard to find and I only had a limited supply. I've since bought more bullets so I need to take it out and shoot it. I remember the clip was real stiff and I never got 30 rounds loaded.
Old February 16th, 2018
Executive Member
Whitetail Exterminators

Yea the mag is a little different to load. Just remember to push straight down with the rim in the window then slide bullet back with your index finger. The rims must not jump over each other as the bullets stack side by side. It took me a couple of tryís before I figured it out.

Old February 18th, 2018

me and a buddy each got our guns last week, I was busy with work, so hadn't shot mine, buddy went to shoot his and immediatley had a problem with bullets only going half way in the chamber and then hanging up, once loaded, his gun would only shoot 2 or 3 times before jamming.......not good for a new gun.....he calls me to tell me about it and I take mine out later that afternoon and had the exact same problem......

So I take it apart to clean it and it is very clean and dry, so I re-assemble it and oil it pretty good, mainly where the steel slide rides on the polymer frame as I thought that could be the cause of the binding up......

and sho enough, that did the trick, I shot 5 different loads from 30 grain ballistic tips to hollow points to FMJ round thru it, maybe 50 or more and it shot and fed everything I put in it with no problems........now I'm a happy camper.......

I didn't have a lot of time to shoot, so I just shot in the back drop at a few feet away as fast as I could pull the trigger, shooting 10 rounds of each type of ammo...it fed all the bullets and fired them and ejected them without any problems....,it is loud, louder than I expected......

I didn't load more that 20 rounds at a time, then loaded it up and I'll say after 20 rounds it gets hard to load, I doubt I'll load more than 25 rounds at a time until the mag spring gives a little if it ever will...

overall, very happy with the gun...
Old February 20th, 2018
Chairman

Don't they recommend shooting heavier bullets and even tell you NOT to shoot certain brands?