Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Louisiana's Fastest Growing Hunting Sport

Old 1 Week Ago
Default wma pigs

looking to hunt some pigs in honey island wma. what are legal firearms to kill with ?

.22 and shotguns?
any recommened shot size and chokes?

thanks.
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman.adventures View Post
looking to hunt some pigs in honey island wma. what are legal firearms to kill with ?

.22 and shotguns?
any recommened shot size and chokes?

thanks.
if you are referring to this month during small game season:

by far the best is apex ammunition TSS BB 18.1g/cc @ $10 a shell with improved modified choke for any hog 0-80yds

for 0-40 yards these 2 work well:
federal heavyweight coyote BB 15g/cc @ $4 a shell improved modified choke
and hevishot dead coyote T 12g/cc @ $5 a shell full or extra full choke

I never tried Hornady heavyweight coyote which is copper plated lead BB around 11.3g/cc @ $1.50 but I don't like poison in my meat if I can help it, but it would probably work similarly but not as much power with the lesser density from a BB size.

22 mag is what most ppl use on headshots and lung shots on small/medium pigs with success, I always preferred shotgun so I could blast em on running shots, but you must get closer.

Good luck
Old 1 Week Ago

I use either a marlin 60 22lr or a savage bolt action 22 mag. Deadly on any size hog close range, 0-50 yards. Only bad thing is very very little room for error. A 22 will drop them in their tracks however off by an inch or two from a head/spine shot; they will eat that bullet up like it was a mosquito bite.
Old 1 Week Ago

You can use a bow too
Old 1 Week Ago
Executive Member
Upper Management
Visit woodie25's Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer student View Post
I use either a marlin 60 22lr or a savage bolt action 22 mag. Deadly on any size hog close range, 0-50 yards. Only bad thing is very very little room for error. A 22 will drop them in their tracks however off by an inch or two from a head/spine shot; they will eat that bullet up like it was a mosquito bite.
Shoot them in the shoulder. Way more kill area and they never running more than 40-50 yards. killed 100's with my 22 mag 40gr hollow point right through the lungs. A hogs lungs or half the size of other animals so they don't make it far before they die. My 22 mag will get a pass through 95% of the time. No blood trail. just listen or watch which way they run. I walk around jumping them up and usually kill one or 2 each group.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisianabadboy1 View Post
You can use a bow too
After the 15th, bow is closed so you have to use small game ammo.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie25 View Post
Shoot them in the shoulder. Way more kill area and they never running more than 40-50 yards. killed 100's with my 22 mag 40gr hollow point right through the lungs. A hogs lungs or half the size of other animals so they don't make it far before they die. My 22 mag will get a pass through 95% of the time. No blood trail. just listen or watch which way they run. I walk around jumping them up and usually kill one or 2 each group.
That's good to know, I borrow my brother in laws 22 mag, so I don't always access to it. I noticed with my 22lr, it seems like it doesn't have enough power for complete lung pass throughs. Trying to find some hotter rounds for it that are accurate. Ol' Lyle Savant recommended some new browning rounds that are hotter than the cci mini mags I shoot. I need to pick some up and put them on paper. Might try a lung shot like you suggest if I like the accuracy/consistency with these browning rounds.
Old 1 Week Ago

Any of the 40 to 50 grain rounds should work well. I have taken them with head and body shots. It just depends on what they give you and where you are. I have used hollow points and the fmj rounds as well. I have seen some big ones taken with a 17 hmr too. I like the head and spine shots if I can get them. Nothing like dropping them where they stand.
Old 1 Week Ago

I'd recommend the shotgun for the pearl. It's real thick, and they hold tight in that cover until they have to run. During February the hog doggers are out. They may push a few your direction. There are some big pigs in there. I've seen a few mud rubs over 3' tall. Good luck! Come help thin the herd.
Old 1 Week Ago
Default wma hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie25 View Post

ive been around the horse shoe pond and walked some other areas not much but signs any advice on walk and stalk?