Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old February 12th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

well more CWD things that make no sense. Look at our states rules and see if you can figure out how to do it in the field. I talked to the head biologist in charge of the cwd rules and he told me I don't need to scrub or boil it. He said to just pull and cut out the brain matter/spinal cord. Well they still have small amounts of brain matter and a lot of tissue on that skull if you clean that animal in the field no matter how hard you try imo unless you boil it for hours, pressure wash and use a strong brush. Try getting all of that tissue off a skull in the field....goodness. I'm all for helping it from being spread, but darn they could give some details in the pamphlet on how to prepare the horns/skull yourself to bring them home. Cleaned cervid teeth? what exactly does that mean? does all the gum material need to be removed? no details. Then when the head dude told me opposite of what the rules states.
Old February 12th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
interesting point indeed!
Few different common factors in the effected areas. One of the most obvious is that the areas are often restricted by drought. Deer restricted to tighter densities. Not saying higher population but agriculture areas hold deer different that wooded areas. When most of the states hit the hardest are agriculture and prairie states.

If you look at any animal disease outbreak map they tend to gradually spread outwards from the area first hit. The first states to be hit were Colorado and Wyoming and the map tends to be travelling outward in the density of cases. Humans help spread disease differently do to the methods of transportation. This is why airports and ports become screening zones for diseases that hit mankind. I think we are to blame for the long distance carrying of the disease. Hunters down play every law as foolishness, and lack to see why they are in place. Just this year a Mississippi hunter was caught with a mule deer from of state that tested positive for cwd. Trust me I would bet he wasnt the only individual, just the only person that was caught.

Iowa may be the most conservative state in country yet the disease is just reaching them. So if conservativeness of the deer heard is to blame for the spreading and existence of cwd then Louisiana is safe. Don't the fact that we have one if the most liberal states when it comes to deer hunting.

Lastly cwd effects every deer that catches it the same. So when it comes to spreading the disease its equivalent. Any animal that is contagious is just as likely to spread as the other. Only place that would be more susceptible to widespread outbreaks would be areas if high density. Think cities when it comes to contagious diseases and viruses for mankind. Odds of being exposed would go up tremendously in this scenario.

Sorry for typos no time to proofread and barely anytime to compose this on my phone.
Old February 12th, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
LDWF is already "asking" folks in East Carrol and one other Parish, not to feed deer. I wouldn't think too many are feeding after the season but if they are, you can bet there's plenty of deer using it.
That's funny, maybe if they ask nice enough we have a shot.
Old February 12th, 2018
Board of Directors
Apostles of Ardennes

Tensas is not that far away.
LDWF Image

OIIIIIIIO
Old February 13th, 2018
Board of Directors

Yeah i saw that. Do you think a deer will swim the Ms River ?

I think some of them high dollar islands stick out, where a deer might swim to it, rest up, and continue on eventually over Hwy 65. But what for? I know MBís were tracked changing ranges 9 km, but i donít see it. I think the river will be like a stop the cwd border.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2018
Executive Member
Bad Country Snipers

Donít think the deer will have any trouble with the river. Been hunting the Mississippi River all my life. Have watched quite a few cross. As far as a normal pattern no but when pressured yes. All the ones I have seen cross were bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 13th, 2018

Have seen a few deer swim it in my lifetime. Definitely not a normal routine pattern as bayou runner previously said.
Old February 13th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

I once seen 2 big does swimming over 100 yards out into the Mississippi river, they then turned 90 degrees perpendicular to the bank and I sailed an arrow into one once she got on land! I think they were looking for a ridge that was underwater. However, they were booking it with ease going against the strong river current. I envision them easily crossing the river if they wanted, but unless they don't have good food or see loads of pressure not sure if they'd cross over to new turf. Though I'm thinking a buck that wants to find some new hot does may see greener pastures across the river.

Heck those river islands sometimes have no deer once they flood then soon as the water recedes and the green grow they back thick in there in no time.

Seems like from what I read they want to exterminate all the deer in cwd areas and then keep them at 8-10 per square mile as a solution to keep it spreading in many of the cwd areas.
Old February 14th, 2018
Horn Stars

I was working for a dredge company and was fishing off of a small tug boat one evening and watched two deer swim across the river. They crossed with ease. I thought about taking the boat out there and getting a closer look but by the time my boat would have hot close, they would have been across.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old February 14th, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I once seen 2 big does swimming over 100 yards out into the Mississippi river, they then turned 90 degrees perpendicular to the bank and I sailed an arrow into one once she got on land! I think they were looking for a ridge that was underwater. However, they were booking it with ease going against the strong river current. I envision them easily crossing the river if they wanted, but unless they don't have good food or see loads of pressure not sure if they'd cross over to new turf. Though I'm thinking a buck that wants to find some new hot does may see greener pastures across the river.

Heck those river islands sometimes have no deer once they flood then soon as the water recedes and the green grow they back thick in there in no time.

Seems like from what I read they want to exterminate all the deer in cwd areas and then keep them at 8-10 per square mile as a solution to keep it spreading in many of the cwd areas.
Talk about destroying a deer herd!

Has CWD ever had that kind of impact? Seems like the only reason CWD ever wipes out a deer herd is because people freak out and wipe the herd out to keep it from spreading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk