Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting The Most Challenging Game

Old May 14th, 2018
Executive Member
Devastation, Inc.
Visit Crawl79's Facebook Visit Crawl79's Twitter
Default Yearly Midwest Trip 5th year

Well back from yearly Midwest public land turkey hunting trip. Definitely the toughest year for us there but we had a good time and were still able to take a few birds home.

Numbers of birds way down and amount of pressure way up. The secret has been out on midwest turkey hunting for a while now but think all of the extra pressure is starting to make a visible impact in the area we hunt. Normally see allot of birds out strutting in the private land fields near where we hunt. Didn't see any this year.

Weather was normal for the time of year. Still had birds gobbling during the day but not as much as normal and not consistent. 4 buddies from Alabama killed one bird between them. Buddy and I from Louisiana were each able to kill a limb hanger on the same day(day with least amount of wind). Same morning I called in another mature bird but before I could get a shot off a creme colored coyote walked out and bird flew into a nearby tree. I was able to call in another bird on the last day and it was walking through some tall grass in a bottom. Could see a red head and could tell it was a gobbler but didn't wait to see if it was a mature bird and ended up shooting a jake. Jakes are legal and it was time to go home so didn't feel too bad punching my last tag. Buddy played cat and mouse with a very educated bird for 3 days straight and came close a couple times. Guess he will have to continue the game with him next year. Really think if I had not been hunting this area for this past few years I may have eaten tag soup, but knowing the best areas I was able to pinpoint where I knew there would be at least one or two birds roosting and that made a big difference.

All in all a good trip with good food, drinks and friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32130785_10155525784063977_2770632013365903360_n.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	102265   Click image for larger version

Name:	32202976_10155525784043977_1250285471154569216_n.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	102266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8842.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	102267   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8846.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	102268  

Last edited by Crawl79; May 14th, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old May 14th, 2018
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent

Congratulations. We went out this year to a new place. We saw a lot more pressure than I expected, but we still had a great time and should have killed a couple at least. We plan to go back next year. The week of hunting new ground with no shot was more satisfying than the one hunt I made at home that ended with a really fine gobbler. Covering new ground with no particular expectations was a lot of fun. We should be more successful next year after learning the lay of the land.
Old May 14th, 2018
Executive Member
Devastation, Inc.
Visit Crawl79's Facebook Visit Crawl79's Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Spurs View Post
Congratulations. We went out this year to a new place. We saw a lot more pressure than I expected, but we still had a great time and should have killed a couple at least. We plan to go back next year. The week of hunting new ground with no shot was more satisfying than the one hunt I made at home that ended with a really fine gobbler. Covering new ground with no particular expectations was a lot of fun. We should be more successful next year after learning the lay of the land.
I agree, always nice to hunt different areas and learn how to hunt them over time. I really enjoy hunting places I have never been and I try to plan at least one trip somewhere new every year or so but my buddy likes this place so much we end up going every year.