Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Louisiana's Fastest Growing Hunting Sport

Old June 4th, 2018
Default MS hog trapping on WMA’s

Mississippi is talking about allowing hog trapping on public land. I applaud them for their efforts as a whole regarding fish & game management along with Texas too. I think that could be because they are not driven by liberal government only concerned with money like this state. Anyway... how do y’all feel about this? I on the fence with concerns of it can have potential for more poaching but more so; we as public land hunters put a lot of stress on the deer herds in hunting season. I’m concerned that hunting/trapping on public land outside of deer season during their most critical time of birthing fawns and regaining nutrients lost during winter could negatively effect our deer herds. I DO know we have to do something and I may be looking at this in a more short term mindset as far as deer impact but I also don’t agree with poisoning of hogs. Yes they are a extremely big problem but we should not waste the meat. I may be contradicting my thoughts but would like to know what y’all think?

http://www.wbrz.com/news/mississippi...agement-areas/
Old June 4th, 2018

was supposed to do it on red river a couple years ago and than cancelled it... wma is trapping them now here on yancey
Old June 4th, 2018

It makes me furious when I read, or hear, people say we shouldn’t do something because it might increase poaching. Ridiculous. We shouldn’t punish people and not let them engage in an activity because some people “may” break the law. That’s the same argument liberals use to take our guns saying people shouldn’t posses them because they “might” shoot people.

And yes I am in favor of allowing hog trapping. Kill them all.
Old June 4th, 2018
Chairman

I'm in favor of trapping on public land. There needs to be a vetting process. If anyone has ever had game violations, they shouldn't be allowed.
Old June 4th, 2018
Executive Member
Swamp Rogues

I think the positives of taking hogs out will outweigh the negatives. Deer should steer clear of the trapping operations. I would say trapping hogs is less invasive than loggers thinning trees. Deer shouldn’t be bothered too bad by this. I also say whatever can be done to get rid of hogs should be done!
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2018
Chairman

I have no problem with using poison. A lot of trapped hogs don't get ate. You catch a rank smelling boar in a trap and get him all amped up before you kill it, the buzzards will gag on it.
Old June 11th, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmac View Post
was supposed to do it on red river a couple years ago and than cancelled it... wma is trapping them now here on yancey
What they doin with the meat when they catch em and kill em?
Old June 11th, 2018
Board of Directors

I say No. The State can hire individual trappers , or Vett certain small groups of trappers, But No way a wide open Public trapping period. No way.
They will be scouting, cutting lanes, no telling what else. The overall mindset is just not there in this State. Although there are many exceptions, they cannot be distinguished from the bad apples. This why everything pertaining to Wma is designed around “ the public .”

Although there are many exceptions, we suffer a long time “ grouped together” bad rap. It is reinforced yearly. Shooting black bears ( fresh story now in LAS ) , shooting bald eagles, deer carcasses on the roadside in Big Lake after a holiday weekend, trash, litter constantly.
Nope. Keep out .
Old June 19th, 2018

They should allow people to use dogs more freely.