Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > General Outdoor Discussion

General Outdoor Discussion Archery, Shooting, Game Management, Gear, Camping, etc.

Old June 5th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Default Suislaw NF & race

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8f3f66e90a

there's the link to my fb post on my recent trip to Oregon for the 1st time with loads of scenic and wildlife pics. Did well with my 2:51 (6:33 mile pace) marathon to qualify for NYC marathon too as it was just a quick 3 day trip to requalify for Boston 2019 and set a weight division race record so wasn't able to hike or explore as much as I wanted but my goal was to see some giant rooselvelt elk and did I...wow saw a herd of 30 bulls and another herd of 50 cows/young bulls and got within 30 yards. Also got within 3 feet of giant sea lions on a dock that swam right underneath me and saw a bunch of others on the coast. Also found out about the bank fishing for big lingcod and rock fish as well as the salmon and halibut fishing. I can't wait to go back longer for a full week to fish maybe next year with the race and/or maybe doing the Cordova Alaska marathon to fish the fly fish the salmon there. Nothing like getting away from this heat in the summer months and hitting the rockies. Can't wait for the end of the month for my 10 day flyfishing northern new mexico / hunt scout Colorado trip soon.

They said 600,000 acre Suislaw is one of the toughest places to hunt coast elk and they were correct. We hiked some and drove around some through the mountains and though beautiful it was the toughest terrain I ever seen before out of the several places in the Rockies I've been.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	102273   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	102274   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (2).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	102275   Click image for larger version

Name:	34605207_2003703189664142_3852992702857609216_o.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	102278   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	102279  

Old June 5th, 2018
Executive Member

Awesome adventures you go on and Thanks for posting up!!!

One side question, Does it hurt the lower extremities to run in skin tight spandex?
Old June 6th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
Awesome adventures you go on and Thanks for posting up!!!

One side question, Does it hurt the lower extremities to run in skin tight spandex?
actually it helps a lot when running far to keep everything in place. I need compression briefs on to run in loose split sided running shorts. Without that any run over 15 miles is a potential chaffing disaster that will leave a man walking crooked for days with skin burn. Still any run over 15 miles I use chafe cream or bandaids or luekotape on many hot spots where fabric or the body rubs. I forgot the backside of my upper arm pits last weekend and was bleeding by the end of the race. A lot of detail goes into marathons, especially ultras to be able to run such distances comfortably as possible. Nutritionally i'll spend hours upon hours figuring out and planning how to strategize and implement my macronutrient, electrolyte, vitamin, mineral and caloric needs during the event prepping down to every milligram and ounce of fluid. Most of these races are won not only by ability from training but who has the best understanding of food and hydration science to keep the body moving at fast speeds for extreme distances which is why I love these events. It takes knowledge, experience and tactics similar to how it is for hunting smart animals!

Even prerace for over a week leading up to the event there was great detail to everything I ate with an actual purpose to each type of fat and carb along with the specific timing. Fats are the best way to control and peak natural hormones and carbs is how the muscles are fueled to peak levels like having a gas tank full but can easily backfire by over doing any of those with tummy issues or bloat. Same with hydration to have optimal blood volume levels.

The worst is riding those tiny performance seats on road bikes in an ironman style distance ride aero position, you'll be out of commission for sometime weeks at a time lol. Its why I dislike like bike riding most and besides the dangers of getting crushed by vehicles on the hwy.
Old June 12th, 2018
Executive Member

Shoes are important, What are you using to run in?
Old June 12th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
Shoes are important, What are you using to run in?
I run in many different brands and have different ones for different types of distance/terrain but for racing I use what practically all the elites are using these days the nike vapor fly but they cost over 300 usually. They are extremely rare and hard to find but have superior technology. Its like riding a road bike vs a trail bike. For training I like nike zoom fly and zoom fly SP (which are the same as the vapor fly but without the carbon plate and X-foam) however they have the same circular structure that vastly different than all other running shoes which I highly recommend but they run a tad smaller (especially the sp's with their form fitting upper). I also like altra especially on trails with their zero drop feature making it great for the knees and joints and extra wide foot shaped toe box. Also use brooks launch for some easy runs. For speed sessions Adidas boston boost (which the pros used to use b4 nike vapors) which have a very responsive energy returning midsole foam but still not as good as vapors. Problem is vapors are only good for 50-100 miles for the super performance feature then wear out, but I've worn over 100 types of shoes b4 and nothing comes close. Practically everyone who wears them set new PR's and run 10-20 seconds per mile instantly. They are truly that good. I do like Brooks caldera on trails too. Altra lone peak 3.5's are my favorite trail shoe. Sometimes I run barefoot or with my minimalist Saucony kinvaras. When my plantar hurts any I like a stability shoe and use Asics 2000s on easy runs then. Of course run a few sprint session in spikes or my 4oz tiny Asics prirahna and Mizuno universal road flats from time to time too. Got a bunch of other shoes I slip on from time to time but they aren't anything special. Switching up shoes with the different landing angles and different running surfaces is very important when running 100 miles a week imo. Whatever shoe one uses running midfoot or forefoot is the key to being efficient and I like shoes that allow me to run both ways without a big unnatural heel area meant for heel strikers. Humans are not meant to run heel 1st just run barefoot and you'll see what I mean, but many modern shoes deceive the public with their big heavy heels. I hate heavy shoes. I'm a bit of a shoe nut. But if anyone ever has any questions about running or shoes just ask away. In our running group we sometimes spend hours a day just talking about shoes or wondering how to get our hands on a pair of elusive vapor flys without spending 500 bucks on auction. Some vapor flys are selling for upwards of 10,000 bucks! I ***** you not. Ppl go crazy for the vapors.
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2018
Executive Member

Dang it man, You have it down on shoe science!!!

Thanks for the informative replay!