Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting The Most Challenging Game

Old April 5th, 2018
Default Kisatchie youth weekend (failure)

Well got to Kisatchie early Friday morning while it was breaking daylight. Couldn't drive to the spot I wanted to try due to heavy rains so stopped on top of a dry hill. My daughter got out and slammed her door. Told her we can't do that and started getting her gun and our back packs out of the back seat. While I'm gathering up everything, she says "I heard a turkey" I laughed and told her I doubt she did. I get done and we take about 5 steps and heard a loud clang (ended up being a logging crew about 1/2 mile north of us) then a gobble. I couldn't believe her luck. We start hauling down the trail and I'm wishing we were 20 minutes earlier. I hit the crow call 3-4 times and he gobbled every time. We come to a bend in the logging trail and I tell her we'll set up here. It's very light outside now and I'm realizing this area must have been select cut years ago because it was all very large pines about 20-30 yards apart. Way more open than I anticipated. Got the decoy set up and we backed off into some bushes. Hit the crow call several times with no response. Start working the slate call, and nothing. I'm assuming the bird was still on his roost and saw us. Dumb rookie mistake. As open and lightly treed as this area was he could have seen for a mile from his roost. Moved on and hunted until the wind got to bad. She wanted to hunt the same bird the next morning even though I told her if he saw us, he's going to have to be a young and dumb bird for us to have a chance. Couldn't get him to make a peep so we ran to the truck and hit another spot a few miles away we found the prior evening. No birds. We did 4 1/2 miles in 3 mornings and didn't hear any birds other than the one I parked next to. Good luck on your season.
Old April 5th, 2018

I wouldn't say just because he saw you the day before he not hunt able/killable at all! Don't give up on him. He prob just didn't gobble that next day or was roosted out of hearing distance.

I just killed one Tuesday that snuck in behind me as I was working another bird, he busted me re positioning on another tree and started putting, that's when I noticed him.

let him calm down and called him back in 30 minutes later to which he wasn't so lucky.
Old October 8th, 2018

I hunted for years and cut my teeth learning turkey hunting in Natchez mississippi. I learned slamming a truck door is as useful as crow call lol! It does make them light up n gobble if all is quiet and they hear it! Great way to locate them ..