Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Contests > Bruiser Bowl > Backstrap Bloodhounds

Backstrap Bloodhounds 0: On the 8th day God created the Bloodhounds.

Old January 9th, 2019

What do you pack the meat in? Kinda interested in doing the same in some places I go.
Old January 11th, 2019
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckedup View Post
How about the steps to completing that skull mount. I got a few in the freezer from yancey as well that I need to get done
Well im a complete amateur at the skull mounts. I just skin the head then slow simmer boil for a few hours with dawn and baking soda in the water in a 14 inch wide old boiling pot. I scrape off the bone with a flathead screwdriver and dull knife and rinse with the water hose then repeat that another couple times. I then use borax and let it dry out. Since i spray paint the skulls myself different colors i dont need to do any whitening products that others use.
Old January 11th, 2019
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boys View Post
What do you pack the meat in? Kinda interested in doing the same in some places I go.
Well i could use my frame backpack from colorado for packing but my super sized hunting bag works great for me. I have the slumberjack 2500 its usually 200 nut i got it on cleaance for 80 last year, by far best bag ive ever used with loads of space and zipper compartments, heck i even strap on my bow, quiver and micro bow climber to the outside of the pack all at once.

But i bring an extra orange vest in for the antlers, i had used my orange dog vest this time since thats all i had with me.

I cleaned the entire deer with my 4 inch havalon switching to an older blade to work the joints of the quarters and neck

On a small deer i can fit the entire thing in my slumberjack but for this one i had to usegarbage bags and my extra smaller hunting pack

Its much easier than carting then out of muddy or rough woods or hills imo and mo cleanung is required back at the camp.

With griund cleaning a tad more hair gets on the meat than hanging em but really not much if u r careful.

I use the heavy duty 20lb ice bags for the quarters and gallon freezer ziplocks for the rest of the meat pieces

I found packing out my animal just takes the entire process of the hunt to that next level of a manual powered mission where all those meals are more more satiating from the entire journey of it all
Old January 11th, 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Well i could use my frame backpack from colorado for packing but my super sized hunting bag works great for me. I have the slumberjack 2500 its usually 200 nut i got it on cleaance for 80 last year, by far best bag ive ever used with loads of space and zipper compartments, heck i even strap on my bow, quiver and micro bow climber to the outside of the pack all at once.

But i bring an extra orange vest in for the antlers, i had used my orange dog vest this time since thats all i had with me.

I cleaned the entire deer with my 4 inch havalon switching to an older blade to work the joints of the quarters and neck

On a small deer i can fit the entire thing in my slumberjack but for this one i had to usegarbage bags and my extra smaller hunting pack

Its much easier than carting then out of muddy or rough woods or hills imo and mo cleanung is required back at the camp.

With griund cleaning a tad more hair gets on the meat than hanging em but really not much if u r careful.

I use the heavy duty 20lb ice bags for the quarters and gallon freezer ziplocks for the rest of the meat pieces

I found packing out my animal just takes the entire process of the hunt to that next level of a manual powered mission where all those meals are more more satiating from the entire journey of it all
Thanks bud. I got a few places where I walk over a mile or to hunt. I been thinking about packing them out for s few years now. Just didnít know where to start. I watch video of Warren Womack and how he skins them out. Then I seen where you done it with this buck so I had to ask! I bought a good deer cart this past summer and I got a deer sleigh too but on them long hauls out you burn so much time watching to get cart then walking back. I killed a basket 6 earlier this year in Kisatchie with my bow. He was 1.25 back and it took me 3 hours from time I got my stand on the ground and got him to truck. Had to walk that 1.25 out get buggy, back in to get deer then back out. Was a very easy walk thank the good Lord but still a lot of time consuming. Thanks bud Iím gonna buy me a bag.
Old January 12th, 2019
Executive Member
Cajun Carnivores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boys View Post
Thanks bud. I got a few places where I walk over a mile or to hunt. I been thinking about packing them out for s few years now. Just didn’t know where to start. I watch video of Warren Womack and how he skins them out. Then I seen where you done it with this buck so I had to ask! I bought a good deer cart this past summer and I got a deer sleigh too but on them long hauls out you burn so much time watching to get cart then walking back. I killed a basket 6 earlier this year in Kisatchie with my bow. He was 1.25 back and it took me 3 hours from time I got my stand on the ground and got him to truck. Had to walk that 1.25 out get buggy, back in to get deer then back out. Was a very easy walk thank the good Lord but still a lot of time consuming. Thanks bud I’m gonna buy me a bag.
BB, there are a lot of packs out there designed specifically for hauling heavy loads. I'll start a new thread so I dont hijack Orion's.

Congrats on the buck Orion.
Sponsored Links