Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting The Most Challenging Game

Old 2 Days Ago
Executive Member

I have scouted 4 morning so far in Southwest LA.

First morning.... I went to an area where there have been Toms roosting each of the last 2 years. I heard one gobble twice at daylight, but he was far away on some private land. I went to second spot a mile away where I heard gobbling last year and unsuccessfully hunted him while he had a bunch of hens with him. I did not hear any gobbling at this spot.

Second morning... I heard a Tom gobble 600 to 800 yards away just after daylight. I cut the distance in half, but never heard a second gobble after waiting 20 minutes.

Third morning.... I did not hear any gobbles at daylight after waiting about 25 minutes. I moved about 3/4 miles and heard a gobble after waiting 10 minutes. Not being familiar with this area, I headed toward the bird that was 600 or 700 yards away. By the time I got 200 yards closer.... the next gobble came 200+ yards to my left. He was on the move. I moved that direction but he did not gobble again. I only heard 4 gobbles from this tom.

This morning..... I went back to yesterday's "Bird", hoping to learn more about him. I set up on the other side of the bottom where he was the day before. I never heard a gobble at daylight after a long wait. I then move back to the other side of this bottom, but did not hear anything. But..... when I walked back to my truck, I thought I heard a faint gobble. Not sure what direction it came from. A few minutes passed and I heard it again.... 1/2 + mile away and in the opposite direction from yesterday's Tom . I headed that direction in my truck. I parked and listened but heard nothing. I moved down the road another 3/4 miles. Again, I heard a faint gobble that I though came from NW of me. I move up on a hill to hear better. The next gobble came SW of me about 700 or 800 yards away. A few minutes later it gobbled again. To walk that direction, I had to cross a barbed wire fence. 30 years ago, I could climb a fence with no problem.... now I look for an easy way to go under it. I closed the distance to get a idea where this bird was and marked my spot on the GPS to give me a reference point. This was now 8:30 AM. This Tom was not shy.... and I probably heard him gobble 25 times. By the time I headed back to my truck, the Tom started to move SE some.

Now I needed to figure out the best way to hunt that area and scout this area another time to see if the Tom is still there. A lot can change on Public land in 2+ weeks before the season opens.
Old 2 Days Ago
Board of Directors

If he stays, i would go to the 8:30 am spot, in the dark. Donít worry about his roost. An 8:30 am strut zone is the place to be.

You need to repeat that trip again to see if he is making a routine out of that spot. Go tomorrow or next good morning, in the dark - no brite light, in the dark, full camo including head net. Set up where you can slip out the back door. Go again next week- see if he stays. If he does you should get him day one.
Old 2 Days Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
If he stays, i would go to the 8:30 am spot, in the dark. Donít worry about his roost. An 8:30 am strut zone is the place to be.

You need to repeat that trip again to see if he is making a routine out of that spot. Go tomorrow or next good morning, in the dark - no brite light, in the dark, full camo including head net. Set up where you can slip out the back door. Go again next week- see if he stays. If he does you should get him day one.
That all sounds good..... and kind of my plan. When I saw [heard] that he was heading away from this area, I normally would have done a lot more scouting of this area. Unfortunately I had to get back home, so I will go back in a few days.

Getting into this area undetected will be a challenge because it is fairly open with lots of tall pine trees for him to roost in. For opening morning, it will be very dark.... New moon is on that Friday. There is easy access on the west side using an old trail which could be very near his roosting spot along a creek.

It was a fairly easy walk to get back where I was today. If I tried to come in from the east side, it looked like it could be a tougher walk.... but I will have to check that out as an option. I need to check out this area on Google Earth to see what I can learn.
Old 2 Days Ago
Executive Member

I did some "Internet" scouting last night.

I marked my location on Google Earth, where I had walked in to locate this Gobbling Tom. I thought I had walked 300+ yards from the road. It surprised me to learn that I was really just over 200 yards away from the road. I think the Tom was 200 to 300 yards farther away from me.

I still won't know what will be my best approach direction until I scout and actually walk the woods some.

And Lamp..... your suggestion of going in "Dark" one morning to located his strut spot, maybe be my best option to determine exactly where to set up opening morning.

I hope Murphy's Law doesn't come into play and the Tom moves to a different area.
Old 2 Days Ago
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald View Post

I hope Murphy's Law doesn't come into play and the Tom moves to a different area.
Someone is likely to screw him up before the season opens
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Day Ago
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald View Post
I did some "Internet" scouting last night.

I marked my location on Google Earth, where I had walked in to locate this Gobbling Tom. I thought I had walked 300+ yards from the road. It surprised me to learn that I was really just over 200 yards away from the road. I think the Tom was 200 to 300 yards farther away from me.

I still won't know what will be my best approach direction until I scout and actually walk the woods some.

And Lamp..... your suggestion of going in "Dark" one morning to located his strut spot, maybe be my best option to determine exactly where to set up opening morning.

Can’t tell u how many times i have had to take cover during pre season scouting. I know i can pull it off. Head to toe camo .

But for a bright moon, you should be able to slip in undetected. You need to find his exact zone before season. I have watched them pace up and down, end to end, deer plots, old swamp roads , cut field edges, always something that is an “ open lane “

300 yards from road, publc land, i would not put my opening morning there. You will get messed up.

Last edited by Lamplighter; 1 Day Ago at 06:21 PM.
Old 1 Day Ago
Executive Member

I was stand in the woods listening to him gobble, and after a few minutes it sounded like he moved a little closer. I then retreated about 50 yards and stood behind some bushes. From that spot, I could retreat down a small hill to get away from that area. But then after several minutes the gobbles sounded farther away.

This was in the woods..... there could be some kind of open spot where he was strutting but Google Earth does not show any in that area.

In the many years that I have hunted Turkeys, I have had very little problems on Public land with other hunters mess up my hunts. Yes, I know this could be the year to have another hunter going after the same bird. I still have a couple other remote spots to check out so I can have several options.

One year I hunted a spot that I knew had been scouted by a few other hunters. I knew any other hunter would come in from the south, so I made about a mile walk to get around on the other side hoping that the Tom (s) would be pushed my way. Good plan ??? but I did not work. The Tom either did not gobble or had moved far away from that area.
Old 1 Day Ago
Board of Directors

Wonít be long now.
Old 5 Hours Ago

Just curious Gerald, were are you from? Iíve never heard anyone from La or really any of the southern states refer to a Gobbler as a Tom. Itís always been jake Gobbler or hen. All the Yankees call them Toms, the first time I hunted up north I didnít know what they were talking about lol.
Old 56 Minutes Ago

Nowadays it can be a term of derision, even if the shortbeard gave you a good hunt, gobbled hard, even fooled you into thinking he was older and later provided memorable meals for the camp crew. Some hunters use killing a longbeard as a measure of ego boosting, when in fact that two-year-old kamikaze tom may have run in and strutted to barely marginal hen yelping from a diaphragm call. Because he was crazy to breed what he thought was a hen, the tom got shot.