LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting The Most Challenging Game

Old April 14th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Default Red Dirt and Kisatchie Bayou

Anybody know where the hunter check-ins are on red dirt other than the Ranger Station? Or is that the only one?
Where I want to camp and hunt at is a pretty good haul and would be a PITA, to hit the Ranger Station before and after each hunt. I've driven around there a good bit in the past and don't remember seeing any other check-ins and none of the maps I found shows them.

Also anyone near there know what Kisatchie bayou water level is like right now? Or what I can check online to get an idea of what it's like?

Appreciate it
Old April 14th, 2018
Board of Directors
Red face

man if i knew i’d pass it on
Old April 14th, 2018

During deer season, there’s always a check station on the Longleaf Vista Rd
Old April 15th, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Anybody know where the hunter check-ins are on red dirt other than the Ranger Station? Or is that the only one?
Where I want to camp and hunt at is a pretty good haul and would be a PITA, to hit the Ranger Station before and after each hunt. I've driven around there a good bit in the past and don't remember seeing any other check-ins and none of the maps I found shows them.

Also anyone near there know what Kisatchie bayou water level is like right now? Or what I can check online to get an idea of what it's like?

Appreciate it
There is a check station down on the south end of the property, not far from the Kisatchie bayou camp ground.

Kisatchie bayou is fairly high right now. I don't know if there is a gauge reading online.

Also, hwy 117 above the town of Kisatchie [hwy 118] is closed because they are repairing a bridge. Kisatchie Falls road is closed due to a washout a few weeks ago.
Old April 15th, 2018

I talked to a guy Friday that lives about 5 miles from Kisatchie Bayou he hunted Red Dirt Monday thru Friday and did not hear a gobble, most of those days were good weather and not windy. He said they saw little sign one set of hen tracks after walking miles of good habitat. I read your post after talking to him so have no info on the check stations but it will be tough hunting water or not good luck.

Last edited by Phillipshunt; April 15th, 2018 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald View Post
There is a check station down on the south end of the property, not far from the Kisatchie bayou camp ground.

Kisatchie bayou is fairly high right now. I don't know if there is a gauge reading online.

Also, hwy 117 above the town of Kisatchie [hwy 118] is closed because they are repairing a bridge. Kisatchie Falls road is closed due to a washout a few weeks ago.
Thanks! I ended up going just to run around and fly to fly fish a little.
I didn't see that check-in but I did see one at the Coyote Camp which is better than the Ranger station. You'd think have a hunter check at the same pay station for the Kisatchie Bayou Campground.

Water was definitely too swift for fly fishing, at least for spotted bass and bream. If it was a trout stream it may have been ok haha. Depth wasn't too bad but it was a little cold being in there without waiters.