LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old January 24th, 2011
Board of Directors
Sinister Souls
Default Out-of-State Deer Hunting

With all of the talk concerning deer management, antler restrictions, and next years Brusier Bowl only for LA deer, a thought crossed my mine, for those that hunt out of state for deer, what is the main reason for doing so?
Old January 24th, 2011
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds

I go to Georgia every year. The main reason is to see my aunt/uncle/cousins and the hunting is just a bonus. It's a change of scenery and totally different than hunting here. Next year I'll be in Kentucky in September in search of a big Midwest velvet buck.
Old January 24th, 2011

I do it for a few reasons.
1-Im from kentucky and my family lives there
2-I know all the land and all the public land there
3-They just dont grow them in most states like they do in Kentucky
4-The amount of quality deer on quality hunting public land is insane.

And I am planning to goto Illinois, Kansas and Iowa in the next 5 years. Main reason is well theres a reason why everyone wants to hunt Kansas and Iowa, they grow the big boys.
Old January 24th, 2011
Executive Member
Default hunts

I hunt in Alabama every year because of the great bunch of guys I hunt with. Due to jobs and being from all over the state its the one weekend we can all get together and catch up.
Old January 24th, 2011
Chairman

I've been to Utah and Texas. Both are extremely different terrains than LA with extremely different types of deer numbers, quality, etc. Of course Utah was for mule deer which is a species not offered in LA. Texas was unreal simply due to the number of deer if nothing else. Both produced a trophy for the wall, both allowed me to meet some interesting people including some celebrities. Depending on the state, an OOS hunt increases the odds of killing a trophy and allows a hunter to see different terrains.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2011
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent

I go out of state for the simple fact of seeing more quality bucks and hunt with people that have a common goal when it comes to deer management. If more people would get on the program here I probably wouldn't leave the state. We have great potential here but are still far from being where the other states in the midwest are. First plan of action would be to lower the limit of bucks and raise the limit on does. For example you can only kill one buck and five does in Kansas. I can honestly say that i've seen more bucks than does throughout the season there!
Old January 24th, 2011
Executive Member
Treetop Assassins
Visit CKC's Facebook Visit CKC's YouTube

Great question!! I go to Mississippi with Dad to a small lease he's on next to the Homochitto National Forest a couple of times a year. I enjoy hunting with Dad and my brother and the other guys that go there. If it where in Louisiana and next to Kisatchie, I don't think it wouldn't be any different. I have been to west Texas a couple of times, and that is totally different then Louisiana. I love the country out there, I guess it's the cowboy side of me. I also love the hunting because of how many deer you get to see, I just love seeing deer, but I know that if I only hunted out there that I would get board with it and not hunt as much as I do here because there is no challenge to it at all.
Old January 24th, 2011

I have hunted Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, and Mississippi for whitetails. I simply enjoy hunting different terrain and enjoy hunting with different folks. I routinely hunt Illinois and Kansas because there are better opportunities to kill mature bucks with archery equipment!!!

I have been archery hunting public and private land in LA for years. It doesn't compare to public property there. I see way more bucks and I learn so much more about buck behavior. There isn't too many boring hunts.

Also, there is always a good chance that I will kill a GIANT!! They are there in bigger numbers.

A wise and very successful hunter once told me, "If you want to kill big deer, hunt where big deer live."
Old January 25th, 2011
Executive Member
Vital Interrupters

The only reason I hunted out of state this year is because my wife let me. Hehehehe.
Old January 25th, 2011

I didnt get to go this year because of my work but i have hunted kentucky since 2007 we started because we had some family friends that got 1400 acres and a place for us to stay for free and they had nice deer and they dont hunt its hard to pass up something like that but i also like seeing different terrain i think thats why i love hunting public land to its something new everytime ya go