LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Turkey Hunting

Turkey Hunting The Most Challenging Game

Old April 12th, 2017
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Default Confirming a Shooter

I'm getting into Turkey Hunting with my son & want to make sure we know what we are doing. We are Deer Hunters, so when it's Bucks Only we look for antlers.

So, with it being Gobblers Only, what do we look for? Purple Head, beards, strutting w/ Tail Feathers fanned out, gobbling bird?

I've seen hundreds of Turkey afield & never noticed a difference in any of them.

Please advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 12th, 2017
Board of Directors

When a juvenile Tom opens his tail fan, there will be a step down on each end.
Old April 12th, 2017

Males have a more colorful head. Bluish white with red. Darker body color. Dont be ashamed to shoot a jake.
Old April 12th, 2017
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Thanks guys. So, Jakes are legal to take?

Old April 12th, 2017
Executive Member
Cajun Carnivores

In La, yes.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2017
Executive Member

Males look black with red heads. Females look dusky, small, and display no red. Just a small light blue or grey head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old April 12th, 2017
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Thanks allot guys. I'm a Newbie when it comes to Turkey. A good opportunity to spend a day afield with my son.

Old April 13th, 2017
Board of Directors

Some view shooting jakes as deer hunters view shooting spikes. For a new Turkey Hunter, and especially a kid, by all means, don't let a Jake pass. Its all about the thrill of the hunt.

Seeing turkeys from a distance - The Toms will always look very black. If you see multiple birds, the Toms will be much larger than the Hens

If strutting, 99.99% chance its a Tom. Haven't seen it but have heard that Hens can and will strut.

Don't look for a Beard, as some Hens have beards, and bearded Hens are illegal in LA. Called up a bird, saw a beard and rolled it. Was a Hen with an 8" beard. Luckily it was legal in the state i was hunting in.

Focus on the head. Once in range, you should definately be able to tell a gobbler from a Hen. A hen will have feathers that go up higher on her head and her head will have a dull bluish tint. Even if a gobbler isn't fired up, you should be able to see some red on his head.

http://theanatomyofaturkey.weebly.co...er-vs-hen.html

I saw the turkey i shot last week coming in from about 60yds through the brush. At first site, i thought it was small and had to be a hen. Then i saw something swaying along with the two feet. I thought it had to be a beard, but figured it was a bearded hen i had on cam. as it got closer, i could see a shade of pink on his waddles, but couldn't really see a beard. At this time i figured that it must be a jake as i knew it was a male due to the red waddles, but still looked small and couldn't see a bead. Finally when it got closer, i saw a little more red and that long beard. This bird was very cautious and not fired up, but coming in and looking.

If you have a fired up bird, his head may be pure white, bright blue and red, and other colors.

Best of luck to you and your little man. I am no pro, but let me know if i can help you in any way.
Old April 13th, 2017
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870-Wingmaster View Post
Some view shooting jakes as deer hunters view shooting spikes. For a new Turkey Hunter, and especially a kid, by all means, don't let a Jake pass. Its all about the thrill of the hunt.

Seeing turkeys from a distance - The Toms will always look very black. If you see multiple birds, the Toms will be much larger than the Hens

If strutting, 99.99% chance its a Tom. Haven't seen it but have heard that Hens can and will strut.

Don't look for a Beard, as some Hens have beards, and bearded Hens are illegal in LA. Called up a bird, saw a beard and rolled it. Was a Hen with an 8" beard. Luckily it was legal in the state i was hunting in.

Focus on the head. Once in range, you should definately be able to tell a gobbler from a Hen. A hen will have feathers that go up higher on her head and her head will have a dull bluish tint. Even if a gobbler isn't fired up, you should be able to see some red on his head.

http://theanatomyofaturkey.weebly.co...er-vs-hen.html

I saw the turkey i shot last week coming in from about 60yds through the brush. At first site, i thought it was small and had to be a hen. Then i saw something swaying along with the two feet. I thought it had to be a beard, but figured it was a bearded hen i had on cam. as it got closer, i could see a shade of pink on his waddles, but couldn't really see a beard. At this time i figured that it must be a jake as i knew it was a male due to the red waddles, but still looked small and couldn't see a bead. Finally when it got closer, i saw a little more red and that long beard. This bird was very cautious and not fired up, but coming in and looking.

If you have a fired up bird, his head may be pure white, bright blue and red, and other colors.

Best of luck to you and your little man. I am no pro, but let me know if i can help you in any way.

Great info, thanks man.

Old April 18th, 2017
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent
Default Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870-Wingmaster View Post

Believe it or not, I have seen a couple of hens strut. I don't know if a biologist, which I am not, would call it strutting, but they may call it some sort of "strutting posture to demonstrate her rank in the social structure of the flock..." or something like that. I called up a bearded hen one time. She jumped up on a log and went into a full strut. She hung around for quite awhile. It was pretty interesting. I wish I could have gotten a picture. She had a pretty long beard, too. So, I am glad you put the 99.99% because I think I saw something that only .01% of hunters ever see.