Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting Gators, Coyotes, Foxes, Bobcats, & More

Old August 3rd, 2011
Default More than just a lottery!

After being a week late to put in for the lottery last year I was, to say the least, upset that I had missed out. I kinda just moped around for a few days like an old man that had just lost his favorite hunting dog. I just knew that someone was gonna catch my alligator. That’s right my alligator!
His name is Mr. Loghead and has a span of ~10.5' and weighs in around a few hundred lbs. This would put him in the light heavyweight class if putting him into a boxing category. He doesn’t quite have the physique of George Foreman of today but rather resembles the lean and muscular tone of George in 1971. None the less he still deserves the respect, and that is why I put the Mr. in front of his name.
You see me and Mr. Loghead have a hatred towards each other that was established last summer. It all started on a Thursday afternoon while fishing a bass tournament. The tournament had a money pot that totaled enough rubles to put the gas back in my boat and buy a hamburger on the way home, so the incentive to win was merely more about bragging rights. The sun was on a decline nearly reaching the top of the trees putting long shadows across the water. The silhouette of the cypress trees encased in moss made a beautiful scene as the big fireball in the sky slowly sank. (It is times like this that make me sure thankful my pops put a fishing pole in my hand when I was a youngin). I was casting my go-to bait which happens to be a black lunker lure. Many of fish have fallen for its irresistible screeching/bubbling sound making it my favorite bait, not my favorite type/brand of bait but actual bait.
Cast after cast down the bank I went with the trolling motor pulling my 20' bass boat. Upon reaching what look to be a promising point I ceased trolling any further. Repetitive casts I made to this point which was producing nothing. I couldn’t believe it; I should at least have gotten a bite! This point setup perfect for a good afternoon bite, a bayou ran one way and a canal ran the other. To top it off the point had grass and a log on it. I was in disbelief! But it was the next cast that gave me a new passion in life.
What seemed like my hundredth cast to this point (in reality maybe my 20th) I pulled my black lunkerlure by this log that was sticking out the grass. To my surprise it was an alligator. This gator laid a vicious attack on my favorite bait! Not knowing, I set the hook immediately puncturing his skin just to the inside of his toothy mouth! At this point all ****** broke loose, a big bole in the shallow water and then straight to the middle of the canal he went with the 50lb power pro line cutting the grass like a sthil weed eater! My Abu Garcia reel and 7' rod was no match for this young George Forman. With the reel singing as my spool of line got smaller and my pole nearly doubled over the excitement ended as quickly as it started. The line was frayed deep and broke upon reaching the tip of my rod.
Standing on the deck of my boat with adrenalin pumping I became aware of what just happened. That no good S.O.B. stole my favorite bait!
The next Saturday was a full day fishing tournament, I started out fishing just down the bank from the point where I was robbed. And sure enough when I got within 25 yards of the point the gator dove into the water messing up my fishing hole! At that point in time I told him his head will be on my coffee table. This has given me a new passion. To take not just any good sized gator but the gator that stole my lunkerlure.
I see Mr. Loghead from time to time fishing around my hole but he doesn’t come in close anymore. He mainly stays on a 50yard parameter from me, with the look of a wiley walker hound that refuses to be caught. Not sure if it was the lunkerlure incident or me threatening him but he wants no part of being around me.
Fast-forward to this year, I make sure my lottery form is in plenty of time. I watch all the episodes of swamp people (lol). I research the proper ways to skin a gator and purchase a new skinning knife. I make many preparations with the intent to catch Mr. Loghead, but one problem it is a lottery. I see on here that others are receiving their lottery acceptance letter, my brother-in-law who last year caught a 12' gator (and rubs it in) gets his acceptance letter, and all the time I still receive no letter. Checking the mailbox every afternoon in hopes that I am one of the chosen ones and each day I'm disheartened with the reality that another year may come and go without the opportunity to catch Mr. Loghead.
Until today, just when all hope was lost and I was feeling bleak, low and behold there it was! With the slightest sliver of light casted upon it as I opened the door on the mailbox I could see LDWF in the top left corner of an envelope that was stashed under credit card bill. I knew it! I knew I'd get picked! I grabbed the stack of mail and proceeded up the driveway back to the house and the devils thought began to creep in. Did I really get picked? How did I not know that it was a boat registration renewal form? Or maybe a creel survey from all the fishing that I do? Or my nutria hunting application? Could it be at a time like this when I want something so bad that LDWF would send something other than an alligator lottery acceptance letter, it is possible I began to think. At this point I'm standing inside the house with the mail on the counter except for the formal sized envelope with LDWF on it. It was like the time I applied to all those colleges after high school graduation, would I be accepted into LSU or would my plans for life be altered in a way that I had yet to dream? The answer was in this small envelope, so with sweaty palms I opened my pocket knife and slid it between the folding flap and cut into my uncertain future. Pulling out the two pages and unfolding this formal letter, I skipped the heading and went straight to the first sentence.
Dear Mr. ______ You have been selected by lottery drawing to participate in the public alligator hunt in Joyce WMA! “WOOOOHOOOO!!!" I screamed, "Game ON!!!" I felt like Bob Barker called me to the front on the price is right, I felt like KVD just gave me a rang on my cell and asked for fishing advice, I felt like I had just downed my first buck, I felt like...well.... I felt like I had just won the lottery!
Won the lottery I had! I had beaten the odds and got accepted to the lottery hunt just like my acceptance to LSU. Coming down from the clouds I realize I have only overcome the first obstacle in the way. There are many obstacles out there as with any hunting but I have my trophy in sight like any good game camera would show. But he is out there and I intend to get him. So while most are out there to fill their three tags, I’m out there for only one in particular. Mr. Loghead watch out!
Old August 3rd, 2011
Board of Directors
Antler Addicts
Visit Boscoyo's Facebook Visit Boscoyo's YouTube

Great read man. Enjoyed your style of writing. Good luck with Loghead. You need to send an article to No.2 for BBM.
Old August 3rd, 2011

Good read. Good luck getting him dude.
Old August 3rd, 2011
Default Good read

Good luck in Joyce-she can be a witch!
Old August 3rd, 2011
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoyo View Post
Great read man. Enjoyed your style of writing. Good luck with Loghead. You need to send an article to No.2 for BBM.
X2 I was on the edge with you man!! Great read and good luck with the lure thief!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2011
Executive Member

good story, post pics when u snag his ***!!
Old August 4th, 2011

thanks for the kind words, pics will be posted when caught
Old August 4th, 2011
Visit WHW's YouTube

SwampFox, I enjoyed your story and outstanding writing style. I look forward to the up-date with kill pictures.
Old August 4th, 2011
BasinHunter

EXCELLENT story, I love your writing style. I'm not much of a reader but you had my attention from the start to the end.

Good luck and look forward to reading the next one with pictures attached.