Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting Gators, Coyotes, Foxes, Bobcats, & More

Old January 11th, 2017
Default Need Taxidermy Recommendations

I killed a nice bobcat on recent trip to Yancy and would like some recommendations on taxidermy. I live in Zachary but willing to drive anywhere in the state for great work. I've done research and by judging by pictures posted on websites of taxidermist in Louisiana, most bobcat work doesn't look right. The only taxidermist I've found that does awesome work judging by their work photos is Atchafalaya Taxidermy. I would like for him to do the work and he said without a habitat scene it would cost $900. I'm OCD about little details and willing to pay for great work that last a very long time but also wanted to know if that's a good price? I appreciate any advice.
Old January 11th, 2017
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Buck fever around tensas did great work for me on my hog and turkey. They had all kinds of great looking animals in the shop but can't remember if I saw a bobcat but the work was fair priced and exceptional quality.
Old January 11th, 2017
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

I payed something like $675 for mine.

Guy was highly recommended and I've seen work from other animals he did that was great.

Took way longer than he told me (over 1 year and he told me 4-6 months). Didn't mount it how I asked, he had good reason (bobcat was blown up bad) and I like the little scene he did but he should've ran it buy me rather than me picking it up to.

Wasn't too happy when I got it. Eyes are a little off. Nose is pretty bad looking, he forgot to sew up a little part. I just like you wanted the best as was prepared to pay twice what I did for it.

It's grown on me some, looks good at a distance from the side. So I just put it on the wall where no one will really look at it face on and it's fine haha.

Moral of the story no matter how high of praise the Taxidermist may get for their general work, make sure you see some cats that they did! $600 is the low end on cats, but I'd be prepared to spend twice that for excellent work.

Closed mouths tend to come out the best imo
Old January 11th, 2017
Board of Directors

Basintaxi on this site does all
Mine. Basintaxidermy.com and has a Facebook page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I payed something like $675 for mine.

Guy was highly recommended and I've seen work from other animals he did that was great.

Took way longer than he told me (over 1 year and he told me 4-6 months). Didn't mount it how I asked, he had good reason (bobcat was blown up bad) and I like the little scene he did but he should've ran it buy me rather than me picking it up to.

Wasn't too happy when I got it. Eyes are a little off. Nose is pretty bad looking, he forgot to sew up a little part. I just like you wanted the best as was prepared to pay twice what I did for it.

It's grown on me some, looks good at a distance from the side. So I just put it on the wall where no one will really look at it face on and it's fine haha.

Moral of the story no matter how high of praise the Taxidermist may get for their general work, make sure you see some cats that they did! $600 is the low end on cats, but I'd be prepared to spend twice that for excellent work.

Closed mouths tend to come out the best imo
Looks good in the pic but I know what you mean. Who mounted the cat for you?
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2017

The bobcat I got on Yancy was killed with my .35 Whelen almost directly under my stand. I was about 30ft up and about 5yrd shot. Entry hole between spine and shoulder and size of a nickel. Exit hole is center of chest and size of my fist. Atchafalaya Taxidermy said he could easily fix that and said the would looks worse then what it really is. I saw this black/gold rare color bobcat on his website that he did. I asked him about it and he said he can definitely fix the exit hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5796.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	100414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5789.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	100415  
Old January 11th, 2017
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBuckMan70 View Post
The bobcat I got on Yancy was killed with my .35 Whelen almost directly under my stand. I was about 30ft up and about 5yrd shot. Entry hole between spine and shoulder and size of a nickel. Exit hole is center of chest and size of my fist. Atchafalaya Taxidermy said he could easily fix that and said the would looks worse then what it really is. I saw this black/gold rare color bobcat on his website that he did. I asked him about it and he said he can definitely fix the exit hole.
Looks like excellent work!

I had a similar case. 8 yards with a 7 mag. Gold ball size entry, then basically the whole bottom blown out. This is why he put it laying down, why I do like.
Old January 11th, 2017
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBuckMan70 View Post
Looks good in the pic but I know what you mean. Who mounted the cat for you?

Yep just got to put it on the wall the right way. See below for pic head on.
James Tyler did it.
I've seen great work from him but IMO this isn't. I'll admit I'm a little picky but I had high expectations and would have went somewhere else and paid more if that's what it took to meet them. I've seen plenty look a **** of a lot worse though!

Old January 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Yep just got to put it on the wall the right way. See below for pic head on.
James Tyler did it.
I've seen great work from him but IMO this isn't. I'll admit I'm a little picky but I had high expectations and would have went somewhere else and paid more if that's what it took to meet them. I've seen plenty look a **** of a lot worse though!

Oh. I see what you mean. I'm just really OCD and particular when it comes to taxidermy and something like that is my biggest fear
Old January 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Buck fever around tensas did great work for me on my hog and turkey. They had all kinds of great looking animals in the shop but can't remember if I saw a bobcat but the work was fair priced and exceptional quality.
I checked out Basin taxidermy and looks like great work too. I appreciate it