Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > General Outdoor Discussion

General Outdoor Discussion Archery, Shooting, Game Management, Gear, Camping, etc.

Old August 24th, 2012
Executive Member
Default Fleas???

My dog has been having lots of fleas in the last couple of days, I have some of the liquid that you put between the shoulder blades and still, fleas, My question is this, what products do you find the best to eliminate fleas on your dogs?
Old August 24th, 2012

There is a pill u can give to ur dog. Only get it from vet. It is costly but if u want to stop the flea problem it is worth it. I don't remember the name but I do remember it has rum extract in it. Ask your vet he will know. It worked for me. Good hunten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 24th, 2012
Executive Member
Visit Delta1389's Facebook

I use the comfortis pill. They swallow it rather than applying it on the skin. It can't wash off and seems to work much better IMO. Runs about the same as the other stuff at around $20 a pill
Old August 24th, 2012
Executive Member
Show Stoppers

I was using comfortis but switched to trifectus, it has comfortis in it but also is a heart worm preventative. I have 4 dogs so it's expensive as all get out but well worth the $$$
Old August 24th, 2012
Board of Directors

If you put garlic juice in their drinking water fleas will stay off of them don't know how it works but does also ivamex wormer for cattle or swine works to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2012
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Supposedly washing your dog with Dawn Liquid will kill all the fleas on it..
My dog got them bad one year but hadn't really had any problems since, don't do anything special..but that year we tried all the store flea stuff and nothing seemed to work.
Old August 24th, 2012
Executive Member

I use Advantage Multi. It works great.
Old August 24th, 2012
Executive Member
Treetop Assassins
Visit 270's Facebook

if you can get some cedar chips put that in their pen or in their dog house it will keep the flies, and fleas away. I always used this when i had several hunting dogs outside.
Old August 24th, 2012
Board of Directors
Treetop Assassins

You have to do two things, first kill the current fleas with an insecticide and also treat the yard with an IGR (insect growth repellant) to keep the ones that hatch from breeding. Fleas have like a 1 week breeding cycle so it takes a few weeks.

When you get the two below spray them both the same day, u can even mix em.

1. Buy Nylar, its a little expensive $50 but last a good while and a small dose goes a long way. Its the same thing as Archer. This is your IGR, spray your yard and house with this. It wont kill the fleas just prevents them from breeding and growing. spray this every two weeks for a month or two

2. Get an insecticide from your local store, Conquer $30 is the best but any will work. Bifen I/T is what i used. This kills the fleas immediately. Spray this once a week.

What will happen is you will see a major reduction in fleas after the first spraying, due to the insecticide, but a week later they will be back. Spray the insecticide again. After a couple weeks spray the Nylar again. Doing this will break the breeding cycle and within 4 weeks or so they should be wiped out.

All the other stuff will give you temporary relief but unless u break that cycle they will linger around. Trust me on this one i was at war with them a whole summer. Once i did this it eradicated them. Its actually not a bad idea to do one spraying every spring as a just in case...
Old August 24th, 2012
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBuck View Post
You have to do two things, first kill the current fleas with an insecticide and also treat the yard with an IGR (insect growth repellant) to keep the ones that hatch from breeding. Fleas have like a 1 week breeding cycle so it takes a few weeks.

When you get the two below spray them both the same day, u can even mix em.

1. Buy Nylar, its a little expensive $50 but last a good while and a small dose goes a long way. Its the same thing as Archer. This is your IGR, spray your yard and house with this. It wont kill the fleas just prevents them from breeding and growing. spray this every two weeks for a month or two

2. Get an insecticide from your local store, Conquer $30 is the best but any will work. Bifen I/T is what i used. This kills the fleas immediately. Spray this once a week.

What will happen is you will see a major reduction in fleas after the first spraying, due to the insecticide, but a week later they will be back. Spray the insecticide again. After a couple weeks spray the Nylar again. Doing this will break the breeding cycle and within 4 weeks or so they should be wiped out.

All the other stuff will give you temporary relief but unless u break that cycle they will linger around. Trust me on this one i was at war with them a whole summer. Once i did this it eradicated them. Its actually not a bad idea to do one spraying every spring as a just in case...
Will treating my yard keep the fleas from coming in from the surrounding properties?